This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  
 
HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Anime/Manga



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2011
HairSecuritySchool's Avatar
HairSecuritySchool HairSecuritySchool is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: District 9 (or is it New Mombasa?)
Blurb: "Hair Security School-Where Mullet Guy Flunked, and Hair Guy Barley Passed"
Posts: 166
Default FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

I just got around to watching another of Gainax's great little OVA series, FLCL. I have to say, despite the mindscrew and heavy symbolism, it has a great plot. It is a beautiful coming-of-age story jam-packed with high-octane action and plenty of mind-numbingly gorgeous art, none of which has aged in the decade in which it has been released. Its soundtrack, performed by The Pillows, is in my opinion, excellent in every way, shape and form.

But, enough blather. I want to know. Have you seen it, what is your opinion of it, and do you have a favorite episode, character, or song?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2011
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

seen it, loved it and owned it :)

PS though I think people sometimes overplay its symbolism; bit like neon genesis evangelion, lot of stuff in there is in their for sake of being cool rather being deep lol
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2011
killshot's Avatar
killshot killshot is offline
Whiskey Icarus
 
Gender: Kroze
Location: Red Neckington
Blurb: Yet another 5 star post
Posts: 2,443
Default

I've seen it several times. Its one of my favorite series. Something most people don't seem to get is that the symbolism isn't there for the sake of being deep, its just symbolism. If you set aside the symbolism, you are left with a charming story of a boy struggling with maturity. Its just a coming of age story.

Where the symbolism comes in is instead of outright saying what Naota is struggling with, they obscure it slightly with metaphors. Naota's distaste for anything sour or spicy is juxtaposed against his facade of maturity. He claims to be too mature for childish things, yet he is unwilling to try new experiences such as sour drinks or spicy curry. In the baseball episode, Naota's inability to swing the bat represents missed opportunities that pass him while he sits idly by. When he finally learns to swing the bat, he learns to take charge of his own life and not let others make decisions for him. This is also the first time Naota saves the town without the help of the robot. Even though Haruko jumps in to help him after he makes the decision to swing, the choice was still his.

There are many other uses of symbolism throughout the show, some more obvious than others, but I think those two examples really highlight the theme of the series. Its not supposed to be deep, just a light-hearted story about a boy who wants to grow up too fast.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2011
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
I've seen it several times. Its one of my favorite series. Something most people don't seem to get is that the symbolism isn't there for the sake of being deep, its just symbolism. If you set aside the symbolism, you are left with a charming story of a boy struggling with maturity. Its just a coming of age story.

Where the symbolism comes in is instead of outright saying what Naota is struggling with, they obscure it slightly with metaphors. Naota's distaste for anything sour or spicy is juxtaposed against his facade of maturity. He claims to be too mature for childish things, yet he is unwilling to try new experiences such as sour drinks or spicy curry. In the baseball episode, Naota's inability to swing the bat represents missed opportunities that pass him while he sits idly by. When he finally learns to swing the bat, he learns to take charge of his own life and not let others make decisions for him. This is also the first time Naota saves the town without the help of the robot. Even though Haruko jumps in to help him after he makes the decision to swing, the choice was still his.

There are many other uses of symbolism throughout the show, some more obvious than others, but I think those two examples really highlight the theme of the series. Its not supposed to be deep, just a light-hearted story about a boy who wants to grow up too fast.
why is it killshot, that you say what I want to say 100 million times better than me lol
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2011
angel of darknezz's Avatar
angel of darknezz angel of darknezz is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: The Satellite District of Neo Domino City
Blurb: "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence"
Posts: 3,966
Default

This seires is trippy. Total mind-fuckery, is what my friends call it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2011
Jotenks's Avatar
Jotenks Jotenks is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Kame House
Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru
Posts: 1,043
Default

Forget symbolism, it seems that every character in this show either looks, acts or has the same role as someone from NGE.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2011
HairSecuritySchool's Avatar
HairSecuritySchool HairSecuritySchool is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: District 9 (or is it New Mombasa?)
Blurb: "Hair Security School-Where Mullet Guy Flunked, and Hair Guy Barley Passed"
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotenks View Post
Forget symbolism, it seems that every character in this show either looks, acts or has the same role as someone from NGE.
Well, one theory that I dug up claims you can look at FLCL as Neon Genesis Evangelion compressed into six episodes, with all the extremely depressing moments filtered out. Another is that it's a very bizarre coming-of-age/space opera story with robots.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2011
ggctuk's Avatar
ggctuk ggctuk is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: In a world of utter confusion O.o
Blurb: Failing at fail since 1990
Posts: 393
Default

45 quid at HMV? I think I'll pass for the time being (and I've already seen it too)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2011
killshot's Avatar
killshot killshot is offline
Whiskey Icarus
 
Gender: Kroze
Location: Red Neckington
Blurb: Yet another 5 star post
Posts: 2,443
Default

I watched this series again last night and I noticed something I haven't caught before. Has anyone noticed most of the enemy robots are hands? With the exception of the cat ears robot in episode three, all the enemy robots either feature hands prominently in their design or are hands themselves.

Enemy one is a disembodied hand that looked like it used to be attached to a bigger robot.

Enemy two is a giant robot that uses a retractable hand to attach with.

Enemy four is a huge satellite hand that throws a baseball bomb.

Enemy five is a western gunslinger robot that when knocked upside down reveals itself to be a hand. Enemy five also becomes the giant hand that picks up the iron in the last episode.

So why are all the enemies hands? This is a series that features a relationship with an older woman as one of the main themes. Have you ever noticed the enemies come through Naota's head whenever his relationships become stressed? The first one appeared when he was going to tell Mamimi about his brothers new girlfriend. The third one appears after a fight with Minamori. The fifth one appears after being rebuffed by Mamimi. The enemy robots (hands) appear when Naota's relationships are stressed and he fears losing them completely. After he defeats the enemy, the relationship is repaired. I think the hand robots are supposed to symbolize masturbation, something Naota wants to avoid by fixing his relationships with the women in his life. It makes sense considering the other sexual innuendo in the show.

I've occasionally browsed sites dedicated to the analysis of this show, but have never come across this theory. Part of me thinks I'm reading too much into the hand thing, but I felt so clever last night for thinking of it. Anyone else have any strange insights while watching this show?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2011
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

that makes sense, but i suppose I need to watch this again to really know what I think. :)

I always felt the hands were a way of showing conflict and power. Most physical acts by humans are done via their hands and so if going to give none physical problems/acts a physical form, makes sense for them to be a hand.

Though do see Haruko as villain or good guy?

PSS Killshot you have to watch tokyo godfathers :)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2011
GcarOatmealRaisinCookies's Avatar
GcarOatmealRaisinCookies GcarOatmealRaisinCookies is offline
Closet Trekkie
 
Gender: Male
Location: HarryOatmeal's bed
Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Posts: 23,144
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies
Default

this series is a complete and total mindfuck with tons of confusion, and a dash of perversion mixed in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-29-2011
LordZorc's Avatar
LordZorc LordZorc is offline
TOOMAH
 
Gender: Both
Location: Trolling from the underworld
Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons
Posts: 12,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
this series is a complete and total mindfuck with tons of confusion, and a dash of perversion mixed in.
Of course it is. That's every Gainax anime ever!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2011
killshot's Avatar
killshot killshot is offline
Whiskey Icarus
 
Gender: Kroze
Location: Red Neckington
Blurb: Yet another 5 star post
Posts: 2,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
that makes sense, but i suppose I need to watch this again to really know what I think. :)

I always felt the hands were a way of showing conflict and power. Most physical acts by humans are done via their hands and so if going to give none physical problems/acts a physical form, makes sense for them to be a hand.

Though do see Haruko as villain or good guy?

PSS Killshot you have to watch tokyo godfathers :)
Seen it. Its a great movie.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2012
likalaruku's Avatar
likalaruku likalaruku is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: Seattle
Posts: 105
Default

Furi-Kuri is one of those animes I liked at first & then the last episode ruined the whole thing for me, just like Final Fantasy Unlimited. I hate Gainax Endings.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2012
Marikkuriboh Marikkuriboh is offline
Banned
 
Gender: Male
Location: in the underworld
Blurb: L did you know gods of death like apples
Posts: 671
Default

the best words that describe FLCL, what the frick did I just watch
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Yu-Gi-Oh is the property of Konami and Kazuki Takahashi. We are only a parody, we are not breaking any laws nor intend to. See our disclaimer and terms of use. You can also contact us. Maybe you even want to read our about us page. Smileys by David Lanham. Hosted by Cthulhu.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.