This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion

Old 07-16-2007

In Episode 14, Yugi asks Tea if she remembers the time they became friends. She replies, "No, but I do remember the 4Kids version." I haven't seen the Japanese version of that episode, and I really must ask how Yugi and Tea originally met?

Thanks in advance.
-Akito
Old 07-16-2007

I don't quite know... In the first issue of the manga, it says Tea's been Yugi's friend since elementary school, though.
Old 07-16-2007

Yeah, I believe it says that in Season Zero as well.
Old 07-16-2007

I don't remember if I got this from a fanfiction or something but this is my take:
Anzu becomes Yuugi's friend after he gets picked on, and she defends him...?

Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 07-16-2007

Send a message via AIM to Quiz112 Send a message via MSN to Quiz112 Send a message via Yahoo to Quiz112

I recently saw season zero... They didn't meet at that food restaruant just in case u didn't know xD
On the first episode yugi and tea already knew each other..... i think, cause she helped yugi get da box that the puzzle pieces for the millenium puzzle was in back from jounochi and honda (joey and tristan)
Old 07-16-2007

Presumably in primary school, though from the way it looks in the manga it seems like they probably didn't go to the same middle school, or else were very distant friends - when she goes to the game shop, Grandpa says he hasn't seen her in a while (and from the way he says it, it's obvious he hasn't seen her since she hit puberty). Also considering that Anzu/Tea never knew about Yuugi's puzzle (which he's had for 8 years), and he didn't know about her dream of being a dancer, they've either not seen each other in a very long time, or weren't really more than acquaintances until High school anyway.
Old 07-16-2007

Send a message via AIM to Quiz112 Send a message via MSN to Quiz112 Send a message via Yahoo to Quiz112

thats a pretty good theory :)
I wonder if this question will ever have an answer that is proven correct -.-
probably not since they are only makin GX now -.-
Old 07-17-2007

They've been friends since childhood. Stupid 4KIDS.
Old 07-17-2007

What pinkkisscandy said. They knew each other since childhood. Jounouchi and Honda became Yuugi's friends in high school after they stopped "trying to make him a man". But yea... Anzu and Yuugi go way back.
Old 07-17-2007

When yugi was with that pervert (not mugger), and he was filming Anzu's school uniform, and he saved her.

HER NAME ISN'T TEA, IT IS ANZU, IT IS ONLY TEA CUZ OF 4KIDS!
Old 07-17-2007

I like LittleKuriboh's version better. MIND CRUSH!!
Old 07-17-2007

In the manga, Anzu was talking and reminiscing with Yugi during Duelist Kingdom. To quote her, "We were in Elementary School... You gave me a handheld game... I really got into it... but I played and played and I wasn't getting any better, so I got mad and hit it... and broke it... but you just laughed... and brought me and easier game the next day..."

Volume 3 of the Duelist manga.
Old 07-17-2007

lol, they shoulda explain that...darn GX hogging up the loose ends of the original YGO
Old 07-17-2007

There's a 99% chance that it's 4Kids' editing.
Old 07-17-2007

When I read volume one of the manga, it said that he was child hood friends with her.
Old 07-17-2007

well they take the flashback from the episode where anzu gets a job, but that is like a very small part.

in the episode(which i read the subtitles while watching it on youtube) Anzu disappears after school each day and it seems that she is working, but yugi/miho-chan/honda/ and jonouchi all think she is WORKIN', so miho-chan follows her for a girl to girl conversation trying to catch her in the act(seeing the guy). Miho-chan disappears and Tristan thinks that his crush girl is Hookin' with tea, so he hurries to follow both tea and Miho-chan to the pimp. Now tristan disappears and Jonouchi and Yugi both think that all three are hookers, so they follow them.

it ends up at a wierd looking store that kind of looks like a green burger king. the door slides open and Tristan, Tea, and Miho all do a little store policy dance in a smock with a cow paper hat on. Tea wants them to leave so that it doesn't make her lose her job, but doesn't pour ketchup endlessly on burgers. then the plot thickens as a police man comes in the store and speaks with the staff. it is known that an escaped prisoner(that has burgled earlier) have occured and they think the thief is in the place, he was hit on the leg while escaping. so honda, tristan, everyone that are either main characters or staff start crawling on the floor checking legs without telling the customers. as it gets to the last person, the burglar reveals himself and is carted away by the detective.

it is then found out, after the cop leaves, that the escaped prisoner is a staff member and the guy taken away is a regular burglar. he pulls out a gun and takes anzu hostage to make sure contact with police doesn't happen. he pretty much waits a while and asks to be alone with anzu to talk. yugi decides that he needs to save anzu, so he brings some smokes, a cigarrette lighter, and a clear bottle with glasses that seems filled with water. he sits down and turns into yugioh, the killer is about to shoot him when yugioh makes a proposition to have a game first. the guy is bored so he says sure.

rules: the aim is to try to kill the opponent without using but a single digit. the guy chooses his trigger finger, and yugi chooses his thumb

game start
the prisoner says you lose, and is prepared to shoot yugi, but he forgot to light his cigarette in his mouth, so while pouring his drink, yugi moves the lighter to his mouth, and the guy lets him so that he can just have a last move. when yugi strikes the light(with his thumb on the flint) he drops it on the other hand, he states that the bottle is russian vodka and will kill your self if you drop the lighter(it is spilling right now). so yugi grabs tea and leaves. the burglar grabs the lighter with his thumb and trigger finger. yugi states he lost by not following the rules. the guy is set on fire, but only himself can see the flames, he is stuck in the shadow realm
Old 07-19-2007

No reference officially discusses the time Anzu and Yuugi met, but it is noted that they were friends since elementary school, albeit probably not very close, since Yuugi *wishes* for close friends on his Puzzle. Or maybe he just wanted some male friends. *shrugs* Anyway, the "time they met" that was mentioned in the Abridged Series was actually just a flashback, that took place after Anzu, Yuugi, Jounouchi, and Honda had all become friends. In the Japanese version, what had happened was Anzu got a job a Burger World, but students having jobs is against their school rules, so she was working in secret so she could save to study dance in New York. Yuugi and Jounouchi ended up going to Burger World to eat, and caught her there. Back then, she and Jounouchi had really just barely become friends, so she thought he would tell the school on her. (random note; Jounouchi works also delivering papers, but he has special permission from the school because his dad is a useless drunk with no job) But Jounouchi and Yuugi promised not to tell, but then Anzu got a note in her locker the next day with a picture of her working, and it said they were tell on her unless she met them in a warehouse after school. Assuming it was Jounouchi, she went to the ware house, but was instead encountered by a pervert who was filming her. He knocked her out and was getting close-ups of her personal areas, but Yuugi came and saved her. In the dub they changed it to something stupid, like that the card in her locker said they found a good place for her to practice dancing so to meet at the ware house. When she came the pevert wanted to steal her money instead of filming her. XD Oh, and I think they changed the picture in her locker of Anzu working to a picture of ballet slippers. Stupid dub... But the reason her skirt kept changing lengths is probably because 4-Kids often edits the length of her's and Mai's skirts to look longer.
Old 07-19-2007

i heard that they met at a ball when they were 4, but i might be wrong.
Old 07-19-2007

Swordstalker has it right for Season Zero, though in the manga she does poor the ketchup into the words "Tell And You Die", but in the Japanese Uncut Season 1 it was rewritten (or "retconned")

Just like in Season Zero, Anzu (Tea) sees Yugi and Joey at Burger World and trys to get them to go away, and confesses after a while that she wants to raise money for the same reason. Yugi and Joey support her and then, in an unconnected event I believe, somebody gives Anzu a note telling her to meet them at this warehouse, saying its Yugi. The person turns out to be a rapist, and knocks her down and video tapes her breasts and up her skirt, as he is about to rape her, Yugi, with Yami possessing him, challenges him to a Shadow game, which goes down in like the show. 4kids censored his video camera and the perverted scenes.

Hope this help!
Old 07-20-2007

Manga version Burger Event (shortened):
Yugi and Jonouchi: Hungry! Burger! Now! *enters burder joint*
Anzu: Gasp I'm here!
Yugi and Jonouchi: Gasp she's there!
Anzu: (I'm too young to be here, if word gets out, I could be fired!)
Yugi and Jonouchi: We want a bur-
Anzu: Tell anyone and you die!
Yugi And Jonouchi: Ok
Anzu: I'm doing this for money for dance classes
Yugi: Ah, yes
Jonouchi: Indeed
Yugi: Mmhmm
Jonouchi: Quite right
Generic Robber: Haha! You are now my hostages, haha!
Yugi, Jonouchi and Anzu: Haha!
Generic Robber: Haha! Bring me a controlled substance, haha!
Yugi: *Brings alcohol*
Generic Robber: Haha! *Slaps Anzu* Haha!
Yugi: *Turns into Yami and sits down* Haha!
Generic Robber: He sat down!
Yami: I sat down!
Generic Robber: Indeed
Yami: Play game!
Generic badguy: haha! Yes! Haha, I changed my name!
Yami: I tricked you! If you move, you burn and die!
GB: Haha! Indeed my good chap! *Burns*
Yugi: I want a burger! Me nor my appetite are even affected by the fact that I just burned someone alive!
Anzu: I'm in love with Yami's voice! Haha!

... I'm... I'm terribly sorry, it seems that what was supposed to be an ACTUAL short version of the manga seems to have... blown up. O.o But yeah, that's basically what happened in the manga. As for how they met, my previous post explains it.
Old 07-20-2007

Darn kids complaining about Japanese names being changed...

calm down, the world didn't explode just because her name's not Anzu anymore...

...besides, in cultures that speak in English, Anzu isn't that attractive of a name.
Old 07-20-2007

It doesn't really say for sure not even in the season 00, at the beggining of that series she was only helping keep joey from picking on him. Tristin was a clean freak in that series and upsesed with a girl with blue hair who they wrote out of the series. I'm so glade that they changed his charactor from that, he was so messed up there. I'm also glade the changed seto's green hair to brown, his hair freacked me out in that season for some reason. His little borther was pretty kreepy to with his evil laugh. I think he scared me the most out of all the villains in that one.