This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion

Old 08-06-2007

did anyone notice, when tai is talking to the firemen, she says "we didn't start the fire, it's been burning since the world's been turning"

this is a quote from the chorus of a very, very, very old song (sry the oldest teacher in my school loves this song)

the full chorus is "we didn't start the fire, it's been burning since the world's been turning, we didnt' start the fire, no we didn't lite it but we're trying to fight it" I WANT TO THANK LITTLEKURIBOH PROFUSELY AND PROFOUNDLY FOR MAKING THIS VERY RANDOM AND OBSCENELY OBSCURE SONG REFERENCE

(ps. ....in canada!...)
Old 08-06-2007

Thank YOU for telling me where that's from! I've been wondering. I figured it was a song...
Old 08-06-2007

What's the name of the song and who's it by?
Old 08-06-2007

Really? Well, thanks, I've been wondering what that is a reference that is to.
Old 08-06-2007

its by billy joel.
Old 08-06-2007

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

It's a stream of consciousness history rant. Billy Joel was going to be a history teacher before he decided to be a rock star.
Old 08-06-2007

It's "We didn't start the Fire' by Billy Joel.
Old 08-06-2007

yeah. Billy Joel. My mom told me. >_>
Old 08-07-2007

XD I'm sorry, I laughed so hard when I heard that song, because before the release of Harry Potter 7, I found a spoof song online called "We Didn't Start the Fandom". And I was just like, "Oh god, she didn't just say that."

After that all I could think about (until I got to the Bandit Keith in Canada scene) was Draco wearing Leather Pants. *groan*
Old 08-07-2007

It's not a very old song; it was made in 1989. And it's not an obscure reference; Billy Joel and "We Didn't Start the Fire" are both very well known.
Old 08-07-2007

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me
Send a message via Skype™ to yamiangie

I woudn't call we didn't start the fire obscure. LK had it marked Current Music on the LJ post where he links to the episode. I hear Joel all the time on the radio. Then again its on the classic rock station and I live on Long Island. We most likey have to play more Billy Joel than the rest of the world because he grew up here.
Old 08-07-2007

Quote:
XD I'm sorry, I laughed so hard when I heard that song, because before the release of Harry Potter 7, I found a spoof song online called "We Didn't Start the Fandom". And I was just like, "Oh god, she didn't just say that."

After that all I could think about (until I got to the Bandit Keith in Canada scene) was Draco wearing Leather Pants. *groan*
masonprof

#10 Posted 1 hour ago
You know you liked it. O_o
Old 08-07-2007

Quote:
very, very, very old song
Heh, considering that "Mr. Roboto" by Styx was in the same episode, and it's got "We Didn't Start the Fire" by six years.

This thread makes me feel very old. You kids and your rap music and your "in Canada!" and your pixie stix and your condoms and your bullfrogs and your Gears of War and your pierced scrotums and your Bruce Campbell and your Youtube.com and your......zzzzzzzzzz......
Old 08-07-2007

Haha I noticed the refrence right away! Now I kind of feel a little nerdy since I am a Billy Joel fan...Curse my Long Island upbringing!
Old 08-07-2007

It can't be that obscure surely? I'm only 24 and knew both those songs, don't tell me I'm officially getting old. I laughed my ass off when Mr Roboto came on.
Old 08-07-2007

jeeez how young are most of people on this forum? I'm only 20 and I don't think the songs old at all!
Old 08-07-2007

It's true on Long Island you have to like Billy Joel, if you go to sag harbor and say you don't like him in the middle of the street, the whole town will come out to lynch you.

Also the truth is that he made this song to spite a 3rd grader, the kid said to billy joel that he felt sorry for him cause nothing interesting was happening during his generation, so billy decided to prove him wrong.
Old 08-07-2007
Banned

Do we need to make a topic about every jokes he makes now?
Old 08-07-2007

Benharlett, you are not, by any slim chance, living in a small Canadian town outside of Ottawa, are you...?
Old 08-08-2007

Wow, I feel like I'm old. Most of the music I listen to comes from before 'We Didn't Start the Fire' was released...and I'm only 17.
Old 08-08-2007

It was funny. I love that song, Billy Joel is one of my favorite artists.
And the fact that I had just been listening to it off iTunes made it funnier.

@vauny
I'm 15...
Old 08-08-2007

He is one of mine too.
Loved the joke, LK!
Old 08-09-2007

its quite absurd they always refer to songs heh i love little kuriboh
Old 08-09-2007

I'm so happy to know where that song came from. I knew it was a song but I couldn't figure out which one which is kind of ironic considering that I just listend to the song and realized there have been comericials for a cd that had this song on it.
Old 08-09-2007

I've never heard of that song before in my life and I'm 17. *shrugs* But I try not to listen to music that came out before I was like 8 or something.
Old 08-09-2007

I'm a huge Billy Joel and Styx fan I'm surprised people don't know that song. I mean I was 1 when it came out and I still know it
Old 08-10-2007

the first time i heard that tune, the tune not the words, was a parody by the tv station now known as spike tv for star trek TNG, but still i like the original and i'm not that old
Old 08-14-2007

please allow me to insert a formal apology

i am not intensely interested or well versed in music that was created more than 8 years ago, and that song came out when i was born (1989)

i didn't mean 2 insinuate, insult or make a slightly or even remotely discernable invocation to the idea that any of you were obscure or old in any way.

i was wrong in my assumption that this song was obscure in any form, way or religion (curse u billy joel fans) i had never heard this song before, or after the one time i did hear it. it felt immensly satisfying to have a reference to such a horrific time in my past (freshman year yech) but it was nice to remember one of the enjoyable times from that year in that juvenile cesspool.

if anyone was offended, put off, disturbed, felt the need to wave a pitchfork at me, or made to feel old, sad, obscure, depressed or even suicidal please accept my very formal and utmost apolegic apology and my extream assurances that i, in no way, (or in canada) intended any of these unhappy or non-canadian thoughts

....in America
Old 08-14-2007
Banned

Quote:
do you need to complain about every topic?
he's right though.
Old 08-15-2007

The only reason recognized that song was because I've seen a parody of it about Harry Potter. I started cracking up when I heard it on TAS!