This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  
 
HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > One Piece: Abridged Series > One Piece: Abridged Series Discussion



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-29-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Question Why people do/don't like One Piece...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kaza View Post
one peice is a really good anime. i dont see why people bash it.
People just don't get One Piece, I guess. People like... *shudder* Naruto because the plot is most understood (or... used to be...) and there is a little romance. One Piece, however, is ADHD wraped in steroids and crushed into powdered form and stuffed into a caffine pill capsule and was dropped into coffee with too much sugar and mentos, mixxed with a can of Monster, that was given to a toddler-brat-thing who is prone to seizures and thrown into a room filled with strobe lights and puppies. (Do NOT try this at home! ) Plus, there is no romance/pairings whatsoever (excluding the fact that Sanji is a Skirt Chaser).

Another reason is that lame- question; "Pirates or Ninjas". This started in the early 2000's when the internet was getting the most popular, this question came up and led to the war of Over 9000. Apparently, the American-Manga/Anime-Fanbase (AMAF) who thought they were japanese, forced themselves without notice to like ninjas, just like they liek'd Mudkipz.

I like One Piece just for the fact that I can relate to the ADHD-Energy Drink-Puppy characters. Even the men who are not ADHDEDP are totally sexy. The plot is great, the characters are great, even the filler episodes are great. Eichiro Oda's (guy who owns OP) rule is that NO ONE DIES... Except in flashbacks, or super-super-really-really important characters, or 20 years ago in the series.

I only hate Spandam, the Skyepia Arc and that 4KRAP dubbed it. Funimation made it better though.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss, if you may, please. :3
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2010
Ninjasplaycardgames2's Avatar
Ninjasplaycardgames2 Ninjasplaycardgames2 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Gallowmere
Blurb: Beware my rainbow unicorn lute.
Posts: 16,806
Send a message via MSN to Ninjasplaycardgames2 Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjasplaycardgames2 Send a message via Skype™ to Ninjasplaycardgames2
Default

Because they can never find the One Piece, where is the One Piece?
Also, Orlando Bloom is gay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2010
Skoringo's Avatar
Skoringo Skoringo is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Rocklin, CA
Blurb: Just a high school kid who wants to make it to the top one day!
Posts: 2,241
Send a message via Yahoo to Skoringo
Default

Are you kidding mew? I LOVE ONE PEICE!!!! PERHAPS THE MOST ORIGINAL ANIME OUT THERE! I LOVE IT!!!! ONE PEICE FTW!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Are you kidding mew? I LOVE ONE PEICE!!!! PERHAPS THE MOST ORIGINAL ANIME OUT THERE! I LOVE IT!!!! ONE PEICE FTW!!!
I have to agree. That's something I forgot to mention in the Orignal post, it's Originality I mean.

I love your Icon btw, Skoringo. :3
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2010
Anna-aurion's Avatar
Anna-aurion Anna-aurion is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: in a cavelike basement
Blurb: I need to draw more
Posts: 140
Send a message via Skype™ to Anna-aurion
Default

One Piece is very good. It's...just a bit long for my tastes. It's better than Naruto anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2010
SargeantMajorKururu's Avatar
SargeantMajorKururu SargeantMajorKururu is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Blurb: KU KU KU KU KU.....
Posts: 29
Default

I think One Piece was okay at the beginning. But really late in the anime, there are robots and lazers and stuff. 95% of anime turns into a Dragon Ball Z copy with every episode.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2010
HarleyThomas1002's Avatar
HarleyThomas1002 HarleyThomas1002 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The House on Haunted Hill
Blurb: Fah Q
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoringo View Post
Are you kidding mew? I LOVE ONE PEICE!!!! PERHAPS THE MOST ORIGINAL ANIME OUT THERE! I LOVE IT!!!! ONE PEICE FTW!!!
Haha, original he says. The only thing that makes it original in the slightest is it has pirates.

I saw a few episodes and read the first two volumes of the manga and thought they were kinda meh.

Hell, the introduction thing about the pirate king guy with the narrator that sounded like Seto Kaiba made me think I was watching Yu-Gi-Oh until I looked at the screen.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2010
SetoKeith's Avatar
SetoKeith SetoKeith is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: North Carolina
Blurb: Screw the rules I live in America!
Posts: 182
Default

I tend to like One Piece. The action/drama/comedy & the plot are great for my tastes. It feels like I'm there with them on their adventures. :]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2010
Taniki-Otaku's Avatar
Taniki-Otaku Taniki-Otaku is offline
 
Gender: Yaoi-Fangirl
Location: In Britain, Near London
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyThomas1002 View Post
Haha, original he says. The only thing that makes it original in the slightest is it has pirates.

I saw a few episodes and read the first two volumes of the manga and thought they were kinda meh.

Hell, the introduction thing about the pirate king guy with the narrator that sounded like Seto Kaiba made me think I was watching Yu-Gi-Oh until I looked at the screen.
One piece is VERY original. However you made the mistake of only watching a few episodes and only reading the first two volumes of the manga. And you watched the 4 kids dub. The sub is COMPLETELY different and awesome.

One piece only starts to pick up when sanji appears (around episode 20) and gets amazing once the crew get to the grand line (around episode 60 ish). I'm at episode 280 and I love it.

If you think that Eiichiro Oda could copy storylines such as the arabasta arc, skypia arc, Enies lobby arc, thriller bark arc then i'd like to see where from.

If you can't call bon clay original then what can you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2010
Artix Artix is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Posts: 8
Default

What I don't like about it is that's it's stupid, keeps dragging on and the art is shit.

The abilities are stupid and borderline disgusting, the expressions the characters have are stupid, hell the characters themselves look incredibly retarded.

By comparison Naruto takes itself more seriously, and that's actually a good thing, because One Piece tip-toes around the comedic-serious line and just can't decide which side it wants to be on.
Plus Naruto has a vastly more interesting plot and character abilities.

I don't even like Naruto that much but there you have it since you were comparing the two.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-03-2010
niknnik's Avatar
niknnik niknnik is offline
 
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,939
Default

The only thing I don't like about One Piece is it's animation. I'd say even Naruto's animation is better than the copied and pasted key frames of One Piece.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-03-2010
HarleyThomas1002's Avatar
HarleyThomas1002 HarleyThomas1002 is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: The House on Haunted Hill
Blurb: Fah Q
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniki-Otaku View Post
One piece is VERY original. However you made the mistake of only watching a few episodes and only reading the first two volumes of the manga. And you watched the 4 kids dub. The sub is COMPLETELY different and awesome.

One piece only starts to pick up when sanji appears (around episode 20) and gets amazing once the crew get to the grand line (around episode 60 ish). I'm at episode 280 and I love it.

If you think that Eiichiro Oda could copy storylines such as the arabasta arc, skypia arc, Enies lobby arc, thriller bark arc then i'd like to see where from.

If you can't call bon clay original then what can you.
280 and they still haven't found what they're looking for?

Jesus fucking Christ, even Dragonball Z had a conclusion after almost a decade of doing whatever it was suppose to do.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-03-2010
SetoKeith's Avatar
SetoKeith SetoKeith is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: North Carolina
Blurb: Screw the rules I live in America!
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyThomas1002 View Post
280 and they still haven't found what they're looking for?

Jesus fucking Christ, even Dragonball Z had a conclusion after almost a decade of doing whatever it was suppose to do.
Apparently Eiichiro Oda had the ending for One Piece planned out for years...but since he enjoyed his work so much he decided to stretch out the story. There are currently 450 episodes(about 100 episodes are fillers)...and it isnt close to a conclusion. Pretty enjoyable to me nontheless.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2010
niknnik's Avatar
niknnik niknnik is offline
 
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,939
Default

He said they're halfway around episode 400
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
280 and they still haven't found what they're looking for?
Haha, well think of this; 586 Chapters in the manga. Yeah, Oda's been doing this for eleven years (I was probably... what, five when he started it?)

Quote:
I'd say even Naruto's animation is better than the copied and pasted key frames of One Piece.
PF. You call their animation better? Go watch a Cowboy Bebop movie and tell me that there isn't a fight sequence EXACTLY like the one in Naruto where Neji fights Naruto in that arena thingie.

Quote:
the introduction thing about the pirate king guy with the narrator that sounded like Seto Kaiba made me think I was watching Yu-Gi-Oh until I looked at the screen.
D: I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE THAT! Thank you for pointing that out!

Quote:
But really late in the anime, there are robots and lazers and stuff. 95% of anime turns into a Dragon Ball Z copy with every episode.
Well maybe that's because Oda is friends with Akira Toriyama (creator of DBZ)? Along with Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin/Buso Renkin), and Hiro Mashima (Rave Master/Fairy Tale/Monster Soul) (Don't tell me that Fairy Tale's main character isn't based off of Luffy and that Hiro's art doesn't look like Oda's...). Anyway... They're all good friends, so it would be considered "based-off-of" instead of a copy. More proof; Akira and Eichiro made a One Shot cross-over called "Cross Epoch".

Quote:
It's...just a bit long for my tastes.
This is another reason why OP is liked by few. Like I said, it's been going on for over a decade now, there's too much to catch up on, and when people skip everything to watch/read the most updated (whoever does that sort of thing, I feel so sorry for you...), they get diapointed and/or confused, and get turned off by it. This leads to one reason why people like the series; because they started reading/watching it when the series was still young.

Quote:
It's better than Naruto anyways.
Thank you. :)

Quote:
There are currently 450 episodes(about 100 episodes are fillers)...and it isnt close to a conclusion.
This is true. Think, pirates, sailing out into the questionable sea to find the treasure that will make their dreams come true... *shot*... facing a bunch of powerful opponents and saving the ones that they love, don't you think that it would take them at least a decade or two to find the One Piece, especially since so few people actually know where it is? *raises hand* I think so. It took me a year to find my DS after I had lost it... (you don't know my room. I think it has it's own mind...)

Sorry I dragged that on for so long... Does anyone else think there should be a One Piece/Eichiro Oda Trivia, or is it just me? xD;;;
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
If you can't call bon clay original then what can you.
That's another great point that everyone should know, thank you so much!

Reasons why there are no pairings in this series.
Eichiro did not use a romance theme in his series, mainly to attract more atention from male fans (this is why this show is pure "Shonen" for the Shonen Jump magazine).
Examples (SPOILER ALERT!);
Sanji, who is madly in love with
 
He just can't get a brake.
Bon-Chan (this includes all other "Okama", or "Cross-Dressers") likes men. But you never see him dating or kissing another man.

This all leads to another reason why (in which I think I already mentioned) why people like/don't like OP; no pairings.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2010
FuzzyG57's Avatar
FuzzyG57 FuzzyG57 is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: Awesometown, Crazyplace
Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniki-Otaku View Post

If you can't call bon clay original then what can you.
Scary?
Seriously, if I saw that dude in a dark alley... I'm not sure if I would die of laughter or shock first.

But back on topic... I saw some One Piece when it was first coming out in the US, and I was probably eight or nine. I loved it then, but now... the ADHD-ness kind of confuses me... I guess it's just not my kind of anime. (I'm more of a Yu Yu Hakusho/Death Note kind of girl.)

Last edited by FuzzyG57; 05-04-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
I saw some One Piece when it was first coming out in the US, and I was probably eight or nine. I loved it then, but now... the ADHD-ness kind of confuses me...
And there's another reason why people don't like the series; 4KRAP (or "4Kids Entertainment"). If some of you don't know, 4Kids is the company who has dubbed many Anime with no mercy. They didn't call it "For Kids" for nothing, oh no! Yes, they edited out some things (Ex. Cleavage, Cigarettes, blood, entire episodes) and hired the wrong actors. They dubbed such anime as (of course) Yu-Gi-Oh (Original Series plus Capsule Monsters, GX, and 5D's), One Piece (which stopped at Epi. 104 and was bought from them by Funimation studios), Dinosaur King, Magical DoReMi, Sonic X, G.I. Joe, Kappa Mikey (Which is my ONLY ONLY ONLY favorite series by 4KRAP), Kirby; RBAY, Tokyo Mew Mew (or as called by 4KE, "Mew Mew Power"), Shaman King, Ultimate Muscle; TKL, and Ultraman Tiga. And then there's the Motherload of famous Anime dubbed by 4KE; Pokemon, which stopped production at episode 416, because it was bought by Pokemon USA and Viz Media, who were working with 4KE on Pokemon (plus Pokemon Chronicels), but now have the Whole show to themselves and P:USA.

Apparently, no one likes 4KRAP, because they edited A LOT of things out of shows, which I understand. 4Kids makes it "for kids". I still dislike them, mostly because of their dubbing of One Piece. Most black people are edited to look white, blood/cigarettes/cleavage/dirogitory symbols are cut out, the series was shortened due to editing...
One Piece's main target was at Teenagers, not children. Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Magical DoReMi, and Dinosaur King, I can see them all as children's shows, especially "Tama and Friends", but not One Piece. You go take a long look at some of the scenes in that show, and you tell me, looking into my eyes and tell me that this is Y7 appropriate... (don't know if that's possible though, unless you had the power to stare into my eyes by staring strenuously at the monitor for long periods of time... I'd get you Dairy Queen if you do accomplish that).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

P.S.
Quote:
hired the wrong actors.
... I don't believe in bad or horrible actors. I just think that they were in the wrong places doing the wrong roles, because they auditioned in front of bad Auditors. For instance, Vic Mignogna was in a 4KRAP episode of One Piece (The weasle Marines guy that was working with Arlong around the end of the East Blue; Arlong arc). Bad actor? No. Bad Auditors? I'll promise you that, (X my <3 and hope to X_X).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-06-2010
FuzzyG57's Avatar
FuzzyG57 FuzzyG57 is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: Awesometown, Crazyplace
Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJokeIsOld View Post
One Piece's main target was at Teenagers, not children. Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Magical DoReMi, and Dinosaur King, I can see them all as children's shows, especially "Tama and Friends", but not One Piece. You go take a long look at some of the scenes in that show, and you tell me, looking into my eyes and tell me that this is Y7 appropriate... (don't know if that's possible though, unless you had the power to stare into my eyes by staring strenuously at the monitor for long periods of time... I'd get you Dairy Queen if you do accomplish that).
Considering that I haven't seen any One Piece in... a really, really long time, I can't argue with the fact that it's probably meant more for teens. From what I remember, there was a guy with three swords, and all the pirates were going after the same thing... which probably, according to pirate law, means quite a few people are going to be blown to smithereens.

So then why would they try to market it for kids? To make a buck or two while blowing the rest on editing out copious amounts of footage? Why bother editing it at all if it's obviously meant for teens?

... I am now determined to invent a way to look through the internet and stare (though that could be called a webcam, that would be far too easy). And as soon as I invent that, you will send me my Dairy Queen, also over the internet. Sound good?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-07-2010
OldJokeIsOld OldJokeIsOld is offline
 
Gender: IT'S A TRAP!
Location: In the basement of a Klingon Ship. It's dark, damp, and smelly, and I think I hear laughing...
Blurb: AKA: Vic Mignogna Cosplayer...
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyG57 View Post
So then why would they try to market it for kids? To make a buck or two while blowing the rest on editing out copious amounts of footage? Why bother editing it at all if it's obviously meant for teens?
I believe that Alfred Kahn (who owns 4KRAP) is the Mr. Burns of the Cartoon and Anime industry; He's lazy and hates everyone. He tries to make it for little kids, when he don't know Jack Schzitt about the Japanese culture (Example; in Pokemon, the Rice Balls that Brock make are called Doughnuts, when in fact, they are not edited to look like doughnuts at all.). Either that, or he's Racist or he doen't review the Japanese dub. He's like the guy from Grand Territino, but instead of likeing the asian family and dying, the old guy lives and goes on with his old-routine-racisim. So if Al Kahn is all this, I imagine that he's also no good with money. Funimation bought the series from 4KRAP because 4KE ran out of money. I find it funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyG57 View Post
... I am now determined to invent a way to look through the internet and stare (though that could be called a webcam, that would be far too easy). And as soon as I invent that, you will send me my Dairy Queen, also over the internet. Sound good?
You do that, whilst I, having no money, shalt not have a Internet-Web Camera for you to stare at me with. You would have to develope Psychic-Technopathic powers.
Good luck with that. :3
(I just love the power of using Dairy Queen for motivation!)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-11-2010
D.M.Girl's Avatar
D.M.Girl D.M.Girl is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: IN AMERICA... California to be exact
Blurb: Venus is your neighbor, so why can't you feel the love?
Posts: 31
Send a message via MSN to D.M.Girl Send a message via Yahoo to D.M.Girl
Default

Its not that I dont like it its just I'm too lazy to watch it because it's freaking looong and my friends say that they take like 8 episodes to only slightly advance the story line
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-12-2010
Sunnylore's Avatar
Sunnylore Sunnylore is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Hugging you.
Blurb: Regularly giving fictional characters depth they don't deserve.
Posts: 397
Send a message via MSN to Sunnylore Send a message via Skype™ to Sunnylore
Default

I actually tried out watching One Piece way back when, but unfortunately that was before I was wise to the evils of 4Kids and I watched the dub. Oh dear God... I mean I see the appeal to it in that it's pirates, adventuring, absolute spaztic crack, and there's a lot for fans to infer but some of the cast is just unbearable, the story is God-awful long, and there seems to be a lack of direction to it.

I hear and get the argument that the lack of pairings is detrimental to it's appeal and agree. While personally I don't like having pairings shoved down my throat it is nice to see nuances between characters that could be jumped on or rejected.

Consider this is coming from someone that's only scratched the surface and might, one day, try to go further in depth but at first glance and a few episodes (regretably done by 4Kids) it didn't capture my interest right away.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-13-2010
Jotenks's Avatar
Jotenks Jotenks is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Kame House
Blurb: Omae wa mo shindeiru
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyThomas1002 View Post
280 and they still haven't found what they're looking for?

Jesus fucking Christ, even Dragonball Z had a conclusion after almost a decade of doing whatever it was suppose to do.
A decade of fighting, grunting and vegeta shouting KAKAROT!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-01-2010
TwstdFlaems's Avatar
TwstdFlaems TwstdFlaems is offline
 
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.Girl View Post
Its not that I dont like it its just I'm too lazy to watch it because it's freaking looong and my friends say that they take like 8 episodes to only slightly advance the story line
your friend is misinformed... the storyline moves at quite a good rate, and Oda-sensei manages to pack a whole lot of stuff into one chapter of the manga

also, Akira Toriyama is Oda's idol, hence the DragonBall influence in Luffy's character, Oda was also the assistant on Rurouni Kenshin before he got his own break

on another note, i read above that someone said that Hiro Mashima, the author of FairyTail, copied Oda's style of art?

One Piece released; August 4, 1997
FairyTail released; August 23, 2006

now hold up, yes, that is 9 years after One Piece was released... but let's look at Mashima's other works... his original work, Groove Adventure Rave was originally conceived in 1998, and published in 1999, which means he started only one year after Oda got One Piece published... that's, honestly, not enough time to "copy" someone's art style in such a way as to get yourself published and have a solid storyline going. also, Mashima's "reactions" are completely different to what Oda does, and when i started Rave, i found them quite unique!

where was i going with this...

oh yea! i'm a massive One Piece fan, and have religiously read the manga every single week for the past six and a half to seven years! i have all the manga and am currently saving enough to buy the DVDs of the Funi dub...

i like to think of myself as an authority of sorts on One Piece

>>

<<

IGNORE ME
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-04-2010
eiko596394's Avatar
eiko596394 eiko596394 is offline
 
Gender: Yaoi-Fangirl
Location: California
Blurb: -cries-Sons of Anarchy
Posts: 132
Send a message via AIM to eiko596394 Send a message via MSN to eiko596394
Default

No Romance!!! I love One Piece pairings! Though their are main that can be made! But if you need a place to watch it is easy watchone-piece.com is AMAZING! They have the movies too.
Sometimes it is because of the long range of episodes, and frankly you don't wanna someone who isn't gonna but their heart into it. I lost track of one piece for awhile since I started dubbed, but then I spent hours of time catching up in almost 200 episodes it is a show that you need passion for the characters to really be interested.
I used to like Naruto, but their characters are sooooo generic and some of their ideas I've read on fanfiction before seeing it in the show.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-23-2010
Riu Riu is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: .........OZ
Blurb: My finger tastes funny.
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwstdFlaems View Post
on another note, i read above that someone said that Hiro Mashima, the author of FairyTail, copied Oda's style of art?

One Piece released; August 4, 1997
FairyTail released; August 23, 2006

now hold up, yes, that is 9 years after One Piece was released... but let's look at Mashima's other works... his original work, Groove Adventure Rave was originally conceived in 1998, and published in 1999, which means he started only one year after Oda got One Piece published... that's, honestly, not enough time to "copy" someone's art style in such a way as to get yourself published and have a solid storyline going. also, Mashima's "reactions" are completely different to what Oda does, and when i started Rave, i found them quite unique!

where was i going with this...

oh yea! i'm a massive One Piece fan, and have religiously read the manga every single week for the past six and a half to seven years! i have all the manga and am currently saving enough to buy the DVDs of the Funi dub...

i like to think of myself as an authority of sorts on One Piece

>>

<<

IGNORE ME
...Did you say something?
Well, frankly Natsu from Fairy Tale has a near identical personality to Luffy, Erza's backstory and the Tower of Heaven arc is similar to the Enies Lobby arc and Robin's backstory, that panel of Charle crying is similar to when Nami is crying and asking luffy for help during the Arlong arc *could go on*
Don't get me wrong, I love One Piece and Fairy Tale, but there are a lot of similarities XD

I've been reading One Piece for only about a year, but I'm absolutely obsessed ^_^'''''
It's just addictive, so free-spirited and stuff ^_^

....
IGNORE ME
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-24-2010
JFT's Avatar
JFT JFT is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Norway
Posts: 38
Default

Naruto was one of the first animes i saw when I was younger, but after a while I heard about One Piece and started to watch it. It was goofy, different and a little extreme with it's kind of humor, but in a strang way, I liked it (No, I didn't see the 4Kids dub, and thank Ra for that). After around 18 episodes, I skipped a whole lot and continues at the Thriller Bark Arc since I though the story was a little slow and I wanted to catch up to those who had followed the serie from the start. It was a little confusing in the beginning, but I began to read the One Piece Wikia and got really addicted to the characters, the powers and the whole One Piece Universe! What I think makes One Piece spesial is the difference from other shows. Yes, One Piece and their characters are based of others work, but it's totally possible to make something unique out of something else. Just think about it. Every artist's work are based of someone else's work, even if it's music, drawing, texts, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-05-2010
A_ninja A_ninja is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Posts: 20
Default

Because 4Kids ruined the anime for everyone and nobody is giving the japanesse version a chance.plus there no good hentai material for horny fanboys...Wondering why FF7 was such a big hit?Just look at tifas bouncing boobies!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-27-2010
GoldenUmi GoldenUmi is offline
 
Posts: 44
Default

It saddens me how many people don't have the slightest clue that the series is being dubbed by FUNimation in its original form, and it saddens me how many of you are bashing the series based on the 4Kids dub. You guys really have no idea what you are missing.

One Piece is NOT about finding the One Piece. It's about the adventure and the government conspiracies along the way. Ut has hardly gone off course and it's about to enter into its final stage after a long 13 years run. It's also the best selling series in Japan, ranking high above the likes of Naruto and Bleach. It rivals the Draganball franchise and many believe it will surpass it as a legend when it finally ends.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Yu-Gi-Oh is the property of Konami and Kazuki Takahashi. We are only a parody, we are not breaking any laws nor intend to. See our disclaimer and terms of use. You can also contact us. Maybe you even want to read our about us page. Smileys by David Lanham. Hosted by Cthulhu.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.