This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  
 
HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #181  
Old 05-14-2010
TitanAura's Avatar
TitanAura TitanAura is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,325
Send a message via AIM to TitanAura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
There's discrimination against overweight people in America, too. Anytime you see an overweight person, it's very easy to assume that they ate too much McDonald's, when that's not necessarily the case.

The last time I saw SuperSize Me, I remember seeing a medical professional of sorts mention that we started cracking down on cigarette smokers, so we should be doing the same thing to fat people. That's actually a terrible thing to do because I know plenty of overweight/obese people who are that way due to medical issues, not because they ate too many Big Macs.
Nation of victims. I wouldn't rely on their testimony too *heavily* if you'll excuse the highly inappropriate pun.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 05-14-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Nation of victims. I wouldn't rely on their testimony too *heavily* if you'll excuse the highly inappropriate pun.
True, but for some people that kind of weight gain is hereditary or a side-effect for a medication they need to take. It really just depends on the circumstances. Either way, it's still not a fair judgment call to make, although I do think that obesity wouldn't be a huge issue if people could cut down on the fast food and other fattening things.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 05-14-2010
Underling's Avatar
Underling Underling is offline
Boss
 
Gender: Unknown
Posts: 7,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
The last time I saw SuperSize Me, I remember seeing a medical professional of sorts mention that we started cracking down on cigarette smokers, so we should be doing the same thing to fat people. That's actually a terrible thing to do because I know plenty of overweight/obese people who are that way due to medical issues, not because they ate too many Big Macs.
You're confusing the point.

You don't crack down on smoking by targeting people with lung cancer, but people who smoke.
You don't crack down on over-eating by targeting fat people, but people who over-eat.

I would assume he was talking about taxing fast-food or some shit like that.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 05-14-2010
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

like I said, I know I am not going to be supported in this view and that I generalising (sadly generalisation are way these things will go) but I stand by my view that generally, drugs are not what I consider a good way, to deal with your problems
-Though what is Grand scheme problems?????? (This is that some new buzz term????? not being sarcastic, honestly have no idea)

=As for being overweight, well I once weighed 14 1/2 stone, I now weigh just over 9 1/2, how did I lose 5 stone in less than a year, simple I put down the fork and got into a Gym, the reason you very rarely see fat poeple in Japan is being of the way they eat and the way their culture is set out and same about 100 years ago in western world, fact is we simply as eat too much now, notice how don't see lots of obscenity in places like Afician, because they cannot afford to be obscene, know some will gain weight easier than others, but still comes down to what you eat and like Ricky Gresvise (A fat person) said, it is not a illness, just eat too much, now that is not to say it is easy to overcome, I know that, I had to work bloody hard to lose my weight and even now I will not buy a lot of things but I cannot trust myself to have things like chocolate in my flat as I will eat it, but that is not illness.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 05-14-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 05-14-2010
maisetofan's Avatar
maisetofan maisetofan is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: the land of the long white....something
Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underling View Post
hurr durr
i had to drop out of school because of clinical depression
i'll laugh all the fuck i like, you self-righteous prick
yeah thats not funny
even if you meant it as a joke
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 05-14-2010
Draconia Dominus's Avatar
Draconia Dominus Draconia Dominus is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Eating your face
Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.
Posts: 2,377
Default

I think there's a difference between genuine illness (both mental and physical) and perceived illness. People often don't know where that fine line is. Whilst people are being educated on what mental illness is, they aren't being told how to distinguish mental illness from a 'mood swing' or normal human emotion.

Mental illness is a controversial subject.

As I said before, if you can be certain that you need medication for an ailment, mental or physical, take the medication. If you aren't certain and haven't been diagnosed, don't jump to conclusions and leap on the 'bandwagon'.

"Deal with the problem; don't just sit there and expect it to go away"
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 05-14-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underling View Post
You're confusing the point.

You don't crack down on smoking by targeting people with lung cancer, but people who smoke.
You don't crack down on over-eating by targeting fat people, but people who over-eat.

I would assume he was talking about taxing fast-food or some shit like that.
Maybe, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. I'll have to watch it again and get a direct quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared
Though what is Grand scheme problems??????
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. What I mean by "grand scheme" problem is a kind of problem that's been going on for an extended period of time but is more-or-less buried underneath current situations. For example, say your best friend died in a car accident 3 years ago, but even though on the surface it seems like you're over it, grief still surfaces every once in a while. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 05-15-2010
Underling's Avatar
Underling Underling is offline
Boss
 
Gender: Unknown
Posts: 7,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
yeah thats not funny
even if you meant it as a joke
the fuck are you talking about, it was a statement of fact
i went on medication and returned 2 years later
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 05-15-2010
maisetofan's Avatar
maisetofan maisetofan is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: the land of the long white....something
Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Default

You called me a condescending prick, i am a female for start
anyway i do actually agree with most of what you post believe it or not
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 05-15-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

OK enough fighting. Back to discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-16-2010
Draconia Dominus's Avatar
Draconia Dominus Draconia Dominus is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Eating your face
Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.
Posts: 2,377
Default

*Prepares to get shot*

Sometimes, people just want to blame other issues for their problems. And what better to blame personal issues on than mental illness?

But of course, that's not always the case. There are people with genuine mental illnesses, and I acknowledge that.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 05-16-2010
maisetofan's Avatar
maisetofan maisetofan is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: the land of the long white....something
Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Default

When i was your age DD i did not believe in depression and mental illness nor did i even want to acknowledge drugs for illness, heck i never drank or even took pain killers
but as the years go by, and you find yourself spiraling deeper and deeper into suicidal tendencies or feeling so anxious that there is no way out, then you tend to ask for help

in the 90's when i was at high school the counsellor told me to see the doctor and the idiot doc told me i was making it up so that only caused more suicidal behaviors and antisocialness

it was not until i saw a psychiatrist when i was 17 and left school, who diagnosed me with major depression and PSTD from what i faced at school as a child, bullying and witnessing some brutal things which would be considered illegal nowadays, that i agreed i did have a mental illness and wen ton meds, i was then tested for chemical imbalance which i do have and found that benzodiazepines work best for short term panic attacks and insomnia
they do not cause brain damage


i am on another forum for anxiety sufferers and some of them are med students and they know all about different drugs and what they do and the most dangerous tend to be the antipsychotics which are written out like candy to people with no signs of psychosis whatsoever and the side effects are brutal...
they are the worst, i have taken them to help me sleep and they gave me nightmares and sleep paralysis and weight gain because you cannot stop eating, sleeping and hallucinating and they kill your internal organs over time

some antidepressants actually work as depressants so you have to be careful with what diagnoses you have been given and i feel that only psychiatrists are qualified to make a clear assessment. I have a great doctor but he has prescribed some nasty stuff in the past and terrible anxiety can lead to physical things such as headaches, colitis, irritable bowel syndrome and stomach ulcers
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 05-17-2010
Draconia Dominus's Avatar
Draconia Dominus Draconia Dominus is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Eating your face
Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.
Posts: 2,377
Default

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my post: I was just pointing out my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Also, about your story... that's horrible... Today, there's a lower social stigma around mental illness and there is more knowledge on the issue. That type of stuff is less likely to happen nowadays. In your case... what you went through must have been really painful. I sympathise with you.

As said before, mental illness should be taken seriously. People need to acknowledge it exists and respect those who have it. At the same time, people should be sure they actually have a problem and check with a qualified professional(s) before they receive therapy or medication.

No, self-diagnosis doesn't count as 'professional', I made that mistake before. *facepalm*
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 05-17-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconia Dominus View Post
No, self-diagnosis doesn't count as 'professional', I made that mistake before. *facepalm*
I agree, definitely doesn't count. You may feel like crap but that doesn't mean that you know anything about mental illnesses.

Also in the 90's, for some reason it was acceptable to give 5 year old children ADD medication that should only be prescribed to adults. I know 2 people who went through this, and it's just awful.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 05-17-2010
TitanAura's Avatar
TitanAura TitanAura is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,325
Send a message via AIM to TitanAura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
Also in the 90's, for some reason it was acceptable to give 5 year old children ADD medication that should only be prescribed to adults. I know 2 people who went through this, and it's just awful.
*points to self*

HOWEVER, my brother was a legitimate case that it worked wonders for MURDERTHEINNOCENT so I forgive them for making that mistakeBLOODOFAVIRGIN.
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 05-17-2010
maisetofan's Avatar
maisetofan maisetofan is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: the land of the long white....something
Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Default

Pfft over here in the 90's it was "all in your head" and we were told to "snap out of it"
no wonder suicide was so high

Off course self diagnoses is a bad idea, a decent assessment from a trained psychiatrist and regular sessions with psychologist is more effective in determining what is really wrong.

If its just school or work getting you down then that is perfectly normal
its if you feel so bad, or low that you cannot get out of bed, are terrified of leaving the house or constantly anxious that someone or something is out to get you and kill you

That or you are so anxious of the world that you want to scream and cannot cope
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 05-18-2010
Draconia Dominus's Avatar
Draconia Dominus Draconia Dominus is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Eating your face
Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.
Posts: 2,377
Default

When I was much younger (10 or so) I think I remember almost committing suicide and didn't get help. I'm glad (beyond words) I didn't commit suicide. Thanks to a heap of trauma, I'm now kinda numb to emotion. It's not helpful when it comes to social situations.

At that time, I was genuinely to the stage which I trusted nobody and felt like suicide was the only way out. I had no friends whatsoever, and the only company I had was books. Oh, and the voices in my head. I didn't have any good friends.


When I first entered high school (middle school and high schools combined in American terms), I was still pretty miserable. Having friends helped alleviate a lot of that, though. It wasn't till 2008ish I decided to get help. After that, I went with self-diagnosis, and it got nowhere. *facepalm* I was a 13-year old back then.

In 2008, I was feeling rather hopeless. Got help from a counsellor, and over a long period of time, my parents stopped being abusive. But I still continued with the self-diagnosis stuff. It caused a 'vicious cycle':

Thinking I have disorder --> panicking about it ---> lowered self esteem ---> boredom ---> more self-diagnosis.

Then, my friends told me that self-diagnosis = stupid. I see why now.

At the moment, I feel that my mind is almost okay. Almost. I feel alexithymic, but that's about it.


If you really want to know what type of stuff I went through... well, a caning for every single little mistake I made was common. EXAMPLE: my father once shattered a wooden chair on my legs a long while ago. It's good I walked away from that unscathed (except for a bruise)

FYI, my parents are divorced.

Just posted the above to let you know my story about mental illness and fail self-diagnosis. Initially, I wasn't serious about mental illness and/or didn't know it existed. I'm glad I didn't die. Later, I was going crazy with self-diagnosis. That was almost as bad as not knowing about mental illness.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 05-18-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Well, abusive parents can still do a lot of trauma. It may not necessarily cause mental illness, but it's still pretty awful. :/
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 05-19-2010
Draconia Dominus's Avatar
Draconia Dominus Draconia Dominus is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Eating your face
Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.
Posts: 2,377
Default

It was pretty terrible for me because they were being abusive both physically and psychologically/verbally. Even now, my self-esteem isn't very good. I think I'm mentally unwell, but don't have a major disorder.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 05-19-2010
redpheonix's Avatar
redpheonix redpheonix is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: In a box
Posts: 2,119
Default

I hear ya, ( sorry i am out of the major loop, been gone awhile ) but i understand that Draconia Dominus, I have been through that type of thing, it makes it hard for me to socialize though, i may not have a major disorder but i believe i am a wee bit insane
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 05-21-2010
greymagick711's Avatar
greymagick711 greymagick711 is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Chicago! Um...South Side! Yeah...
Blurb: Is time free or priceless?
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisetofan View Post
Off course self diagnoses is a bad idea, a decent assessment from a trained psychiatrist and regular sessions with psychologist is more effective in determining what is really wrong.
Yeah, now-a-days there's practically tell-tale symptoms of different disease/disorders that make them easier to diagnose and treat. Too much/ not enough dopamine, lesions to the frontal lobe, too little/too much serotonin, rotting hippocampus...

It's great that mental issues are getting more attention than they used to, and having a mental problem isn't just being 'crazy' or 'retarded.'

Not really relevant...but if I were to get a tattoo, it'd probably be a wire frame structure of the serotonin molecule with a smiley face, just to remind me to stay content.

[Yeah, I'm a orgochem nerd. ]
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 05-22-2010
maisetofan's Avatar
maisetofan maisetofan is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: the land of the long white....something
Blurb: "check out this guy, he's got a metal beard"
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via MSN to maisetofan
Default

AWWW cool post GREY :D
I agree with you.
I also agree with Sally that abuse in the family can have major post traumatic effects in later life, I Also believe that "peter pan syndrome" exists. For adults who never had a childhood or girls who became pregnant at a very young age and chose to take care of the baby on their own and had to forgo their teenage years, often the result is a second childhood and the child is disruptive and unable to relate to kids her own age because her mother was so young when she had the kid. My cousin is a prime example of this, she had a baby at 15 and now her daughter is 12 and cannot relate to kids her own age. She also believes she is the adult in the family and her mother relies on her for things more than she relies on her mother.

We have a commercial on mental illness over here and its says the biggest barrier to recovery is the Stigma of being labelled "sick, ill, mental, retarded, freak and so on"
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 05-22-2010
AdjacentOrigin's Avatar
AdjacentOrigin AdjacentOrigin is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Washington National Mall 10/30/10.
Blurb: "Mein Führer! I can walk!"
Posts: 60
Default

I remember the part of the movie 'Borat' where the eponymous character, Borat, was speaking with a comedian and he told Borat that it's not funny to make fun of people with mental retardation and then some mother in law jokes crept in :) But I digress, I don't know much about the medical causes of mental illness other than there are many external and internal factors to it. I've always been interested in Cognitive Dissonance, which is a psychological term for anxiety arising from holding two or more conflicting beliefs/ideas in ones head.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 05-31-2010
Aninamar's Avatar
Aninamar Aninamar is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Poland
Blurb: Male abuse - I'm for it, and even against it.
Posts: 340
Default

I know that this post has barely anything to do with the topic, but it's the most fitting and I want to save myself enough dignity to be at least 1% less of an attention whore that I would be if I made a separate topic just to bitch around.

I'm pretty much hanging on the balance. Falling off means I will take the first sharp object that lies around the house and make a sincere attempt to off myself with it.

Yes, I'm as screwed up in real life as it appears in many of my stupid posts scattered around mostly Serious Discussions. I'm writing this here because in this community I have the most degree of anonymity, seeing as how all you know is that I'm a 16 year old Polish troll.

Let's say that the obvious signs of any such low-life individuum have all manifested upon my persona. All I did there was stupid commentaries, wrote half-assed opinions and passed them off as facts and offended a ton of people who express more worth than a thousand people like me. Just to compensate for the fact that my mother appears to hate my guts and decided to take on the role of tormenting me, once fulfilled by my brothers (said tormenting went from playful teasing to complete mental torture).
As a reason, I never had any proper self-esteem. When I was in my Primary, I was more appalled at the fact that there are so many stupid people out there, and I'm the cyclops in the land of the blind - no one exceptional, just enough to be better than everyone else.
Or was I? Their lives have their own quality. I met those people once again. And they are happy.
I am not. The amount of disappointment that resides within myself, the grudges I have towards myself... I'm just a miserable piece of crap whose words should never be heeded in any serious way.

I don't know if I will make it; there's no one I can rely on and aside from people on the internet, I have no friends, no colleagues and no other way to get stuff off my chest except whining. Most of you probably don't care, but that's okay. I deserve being hated, because my persona here and myself in real life don't differ much - we're both shameful dicks with nothing better to do in life other than being jealous of more talented people.

But I'm trying now. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.
Or... I was trying.
Because at this point I haven't even gone to High School, yet I feel that there's no point in going there, given how my life has, so far, been one giant repetition of torment and being finally dumped by my "friends", possibly from being fed up with the fact that I'm such a socially awkward, disgusting nolife.

I don't see any hope in life. So far, I'm crying myself to sleep every night, ever since 2 years ago I realized that I'm a disappointment, an underachiever and a jinxed, jinxed boy who is doomed to a friendless life, hanging around with people who then proceed to betray him. But do they really betray me? No - I'm just not Gregory House, only a wannabe. And nobody wants to buddy with a miserable prick who never says anything true, funny or interesting.

And a hypocrite, too. Remember this post? (Probably not, because it has the same shit value as every other) I don't respect my parents anymore, given that my mother outright stated I'm useless and both parents don't care, unless I please them with something I managed at school - five minutes of their pride followed by giving me another reprimand over the simplest screw-up. Or sometimes even something I haven't done. Or whenever it flies her fancy. In my mother's eyes I'm not worth shit, and talking to her about my problems only incited a reply along the lines of: "You are an ungrateful rat".

tl;dr: I hate myself.

Since it's not too unlikely that I'll manage to go to hell before anyone replies, I will just do the honors and say that Sechmet, grimfang and all the other people I've offended in the past on the forums deserve my utmost honors and sincere apologies. And I'm not worthy of anything, given how this post is, obviously, a retarded way of making myself the victim and gaining attention.

... I'm sorry.

Last edited by Aninamar; 05-31-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 06-24-2010
Chiru's Avatar
Chiru Chiru is offline
 
Gender: Neither
Location: Mount Olympus
Blurb: "Fred the Deacon is watching every unholy move you make."
Posts: 237
Default

The first post asked how many people I knew, not to *ahem*cough*cough*point*point* divulge my life's story to everyone, so I'll give you the numbers.

Schizophrenia - 3 (one hospitalized, one released, one dead)
Major Depressive Disorder - 2 (one is recovering)
Bipolar Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder - 1

I don't consider ADHD or ADD mental disorders (to half heartedly join someone's conversation). Although they are certainly disabilities, I don't believe them to be that serious. Actually, the current medication doctors prescribe to children often causes drug dependency, basically making the disability much worse than it could have been. The fact is, a lot of times ADHD/ADD starts as mild (such as children squirming in class, not paying attention to authority, typical behavior inherited by children with a Y chromosome) but after years and years of medicine, the brain has a hard time coping without it, and it becomes a lot worse. And the fact that ADD/ADHD has magically had a climb in numbers, around the same time that parents are starting to....well, not parent, makes it awfully suspicious. (The whole "let your kids have creative freedom" movement going on now really bugs me. <--I'm a traditionalist. Don't ask, "Why, Bobby?" Just spank the kid and say, "No!") Also, according to the statistic in my crappy beat up Psychology book, 97% of ADD/ADHD kids are boys. I think that explains a lot. (Most boys have a hard time paying attention as children, while most girls don't. Which explains the high boy statistic, but the low girl statistic. Which is why I don't think ADD/ADHD kids should receive special treatment.)

I won't delve any deeper, because well, I doubt anyone agrees with me so it doesn't really matter. xD (Although I think I explained it enough...)

Last edited by Chiru; 06-24-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 06-25-2010
Aninamar's Avatar
Aninamar Aninamar is offline
 
Gender: Male
Location: Poland
Blurb: Male abuse - I'm for it, and even against it.
Posts: 340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiru View Post
(The whole "let your kids have creative freedom" movement going on now really bugs me. <--I'm a traditionalist. Don't ask, "Why, Bobby?" Just spank the kid and say, "No!")
I approve! That is very true, like, ehmigawd. =) It pains me to see dialogue like this:
Kiddo: Fuck.
Mommy: John, my boy, are you feeling cold?

Tradition rocks in that case.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 06-25-2010
Fat1Fared's Avatar
Fat1Fared Fat1Fared is offline
Chumba Wumba
 
Gender: Male
Location: The Ministry of Evil
Blurb: What is a blurb?
Posts: 9,458
Default

-Can I ask why this website logs you out while your posting, it is really really annoying

=Anyway, Chico you will probably find a lot agree with you, but maybe not for right reasoning, now with this (following your example of ADD) there are several problems:-

1=The first is that, it is not a mental illness, it is a mental disorder, massive difference, however many poeple do not realise or tend to forget that mental psychosis is not 1 set field, it is split into a higherachy, starting with things like Abnormalities and moving all way up to major things like psychotic personalities.
-Now because poeple forget this, they tend to look at all mental psychology with the same erroneously allegorising eyes and therefore when see people with disorders like ADD getting extra help, see it as liberal pandering, because it is not something major like Manic clinical Depression....etc
-This is unfair, I mean just because something is not major problem, does not mean it is not a problem and should be ignored, I mean disorder are basically things which may not be dangerous, but are certainly unhelpful and counter-productive to persons life

2=However this all being said, there maybe a problem in this area, because like many area's, it sells drugs and yes I know I am drumming an old beat here, but that is what this comes down to, there are many cases, where simple extra help and psycho-training could easily sort problem, but doctors instead over deisognoising them and then sell them lots of drugs and as Chico alighted to herself, this is normally not massively helpful and even in some cases, counter-productive and so this is why you get children on these drugs when they don't need them, it is actually pretty scary thought
-As for the whole free movement thing, well I think probably overstating that, because the corrulation link works just as well with raise in drug based treatment, however that movement simply is not that big, I mean it is there and probably something I disagree with (depends on how extreme parent is) but its actually ideology is generally not well accepted or used by many parents, but won't go onto it any further
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 06-25-2010
MrsSallyBakura's Avatar
MrsSallyBakura MrsSallyBakura is offline
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee
 
Gender: Female
Location: Your mind
Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013
Posts: 30,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiru View Post
I don't consider ADHD or ADD mental disorders (to half heartedly join someone's conversation). Although they are certainly disabilities, I don't believe them to be that serious. Actually, the current medication doctors prescribe to children often causes drug dependency, basically making the disability much worse than it could have been. The fact is, a lot of times ADHD/ADD starts as mild (such as children squirming in class, not paying attention to authority, typical behavior inherited by children with a Y chromosome) but after years and years of medicine, the brain has a hard time coping without it, and it becomes a lot worse. And the fact that ADD/ADHD has magically had a climb in numbers, around the same time that parents are starting to....well, not parent, makes it awfully suspicious. (The whole "let your kids have creative freedom" movement going on now really bugs me. <--I'm a traditionalist. Don't ask, "Why, Bobby?" Just spank the kid and say, "No!") Also, according to the statistic in my crappy beat up Psychology book, 97% of ADD/ADHD kids are boys. I think that explains a lot. (Most boys have a hard time paying attention as children, while most girls don't. Which explains the high boy statistic, but the low girl statistic. Which is why I don't think ADD/ADHD kids should receive special treatment.)

I won't delve any deeper, because well, I doubt anyone agrees with me so it doesn't really matter. xD (Although I think I explained it enough...)
Heh, I would like you to meet my roommate. She is almost 23 years old and has a pretty serious case of ADHD. When she's not on her medication, she acts like she's drunk, steals her housemates' food, doesn't stop talking, and can hardly make herself do anything besides, well, do nothing. And it really, really annoys the crap out of me. I can't stay in the same room alone with her for more than 10 minutes without fuming on the inside if she's not medicated.

I do agree with you that ADHD isn't that serious of a mental disorder when compared to bipolar or schizophrenia, as in, it is much more easily treated and doesn't affect their social lives as much. But to claim that ADHD isn't a real mental disorder is being pretty ignorant of what it actually does to people. True that it's over-diagnosed and that people just kind of slap the ADHD label on little boys, but that doesn't mean that it's not a real mental disorder. Saying that it isn't is an insult to those who actually suffer from it, and an insult to the people who have to tolerate living with people with it, lol.

I challenge you to go meet a young adult in your personal life who is currently medicated to treat ADHD, and get to know them really well. You will change your mind about all that in a few months.

As for ADD, it's a mental disorder, but not as bad as ADHD. I don't believe that children below the middle school age should be medicated for it unless it's really, really serious. And even by that point, you don't have to be medicated. I know several people who aren't, and some people who are. And that's a personal decision to make. Some people who have a less serious form of it can receive therapy as an alternative to medication.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 06-25-2010
TitanAura's Avatar
TitanAura TitanAura is offline
 
Gender: Unknown
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,325
Send a message via AIM to TitanAura
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
Heh, I would like you to meet my roommate. She is almost 23 years old and has a pretty serious case of ADHD. When she's not on her medication, she acts like she's drunk, steals her housemates' food, doesn't stop talking, and can hardly make herself do anything besides, well, do nothing. And it really, really annoys the crap out of me. I can't stay in the same room alone with her for more than 10 minutes without fuming on the inside if she's not medicated.
Sometimes my 24 year old brother (ADHD as well as Aspergers syndrome) is kinda ridiculous where it feels like I'm disciplining a dog on occasion. I recall situations resulting in me saying "stop it" every 20-30 seconds while he obliviously spasms his hands or won't stop jumping up and down, all the while being a 6'4" 200 pound man, which immediately results in the entire house shaking like a 5.0 magnitude earthquake. He also obliviously wanders into the basement to see what I'm doing regardless of the many other distractions around him (like the 9 video game systems we have set up around the house) and this can get awkward when I have to entertain him with: "Hey, I'm watching South Park," and allowing him to watch it over my shoulder for several episodes, all the while hiding my true objective two tabs over reading "this is totally not porn."
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 07-09-2010
greymagick711's Avatar
greymagick711 greymagick711 is offline
 
Gender: Female
Location: Chicago! Um...South Side! Yeah...
Blurb: Is time free or priceless?
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
As for ADD, it's a mental disorder, but not as bad as ADHD. I don't believe that children below the middle school age should be medicated for it unless it's really, really serious. And even by that point, you don't have to be medicated. I know several people who aren't, and some people who are. And that's a personal decision to make. Some people who have a less serious form of it can receive therapy as an alternative to medication.
^Agrees.

I remember when I was in middle school and one day one friend came to school...all different. Turns out, he was taking medication for ADD. I'm glad his parents stopped making him take it at such a young age. That, and it turned out he didn't need it in the end.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Yu-Gi-Oh is the property of Konami and Kazuki Takahashi. We are only a parody, we are not breaking any laws nor intend to. See our disclaimer and terms of use. You can also contact us. Maybe you even want to read our about us page. Smileys by David Lanham. Hosted by Cthulhu.... Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.