This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature

Old 07-17-2007

I was introduced to this author by a comic he did called " The Sandman" I'm currently still reading it and loving it every time. I was then looking around my local borders the other day and found a book titled " Fragile things" also by Neil Gaiman and it consisted of wonderful and bizarre short stories. It really makes me wonder if I'm missing anything else by this author?

I'd like to know what you guys think and if you have any other recommendations that I might have missed. ^^

The Sandman ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28Vertigo%29 )

Fragile Things ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_Things )
Old 07-17-2007

Ooh, you're missing quite a bit.

You have to read his novel Neverwhere, and also watch the TV series that was made off of his screenplay (ironically the TV series came first). It's not that good of a series, but the audio commentary he gives makes it all worth it.

Next come American Gods, which is very Sandman-esque in tone, with its more lighthearted pseudo-sequel, Anansi Boys.

Stardust, which is soon being released as a movie (Gaiman wrote the novel and screenplay)

The Last Temptation, a short comic (a must if you're an Alice Cooper fan. If you're not, it might turn you into one)

There's another short story collection by the name of Smoke and Mirrors, and he wrote the screenplay for Mirrormask, the comics The Eternals and The Book of Magic. Oh, and Good Omens with Terry Pratchett.
Old 07-17-2007

I LOVED Neverwhere, and Anansi Boys, but haven't got around to getting a copy of the first Sandman comic. My library has later ones; do I read to read them in sequence, or will it still make sense if I start reading no. 10 first?
Old 07-17-2007

I've read Neverwhere and American Gods. Both good books, so I feel I must pose the question. What do you sacrifice to Shadow? I've sacrificed a potato on a string (I loved my necklace potato).
Old 07-17-2007

I knew I heard this name somewhere! Anansi Boys was good.
Old 07-18-2007

Personally, I started with volume 9 of Sandman, and I still haven't read all of the books yet. ^^;
So, no, you don't really have to read them in sequence. Volumes 9-10 are big spoilers for the whole series, but just about everything prior to that are more of short story collections taking place at different times, rather than a chronological storyline.
Old 07-18-2007

Thank the Public Library in my state, I've got to read most of Neil Gaiman's work. Just a brilliant writer.
Old 07-18-2007

Blurb: "Oh yeah, WillPhanto1, he's a trippy dude." -Andrew Soto
Send a message via MSN to WillPhanto1

I’ve read vol. 1 through 3 of The Sandman, but I don’t have the money for vol. 4, and it drives me mad so, that I spin around and around and around and around. . . .

Oh, and The Last Temptation was good too, need to get my hands on the CD.
Old 07-19-2007

Ah dear Neil.
One of the few authors I actually like. Probably because he's more of a purist in the sense of writing without over-writing. Sorry, I don't care how expertly crafted the fifth marble block from the left is. Give me the basics (He's in an airport, and it stinks) add in some interesting characters (Enigmatic baddies make EVERYTHING better!) add in paragraph upon paragraph of engaging dialogue, and you've got me hooked.
Read Neverwhere, reading American Gods for the eight time(VAGINA OF DEATH!!), and I have almost the entire Sandman collection. Love his style, can't get enough of it, I just wish I could find authors that could engage me like he does. I mean, it's one thing to not read, but it's another to have only ONE author you actually like.

Well...aside from a few fanfiction authors....
Old 07-20-2007

I'd honestly say he is my favourite living author. I honestly wish I could remember how I stumbled across his work. I'm not sure if they're still available anywhere but he created several characters for Tekno Comics that he basically handed over to other writers and artists to build up. It was really interesting because of the collaboration style between the staff. Off the top of my head there was Mr Hero a steam robot from another planet that arrived on Earth during Victorian times then forgotten about to be reassembled in modern day America. Teknopahge (sp?) a kind of dinsosaur like creature that is apparently immortal and uses a giant wheel to travel through space and find new world to corrupt. Some of it was really grim.

I guess being a mythology buff helps because he has a great talent for weaving ancient myths into his stories and making the characters so believable. He's a really nice guy as well, I was lucky enough to talk to him after a book signing he did at my local Borders, also he's good friends with Alan Moore, one of the best comic writers around.