This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature

Old 08-26-2008

I prefer chapters myself, but that's because I tend to read my books in chunks, and thus the only time I can really stop reading a normal TP book is when there is a big obvious scene change.

I love TP's work. I haven't really read a lot of it - just been following the Rincewind novels - although I'm working on that. I started reading The Hogfather (yay for Mister Teatime), but then realised I should really read Mort before it - and I've been itching to read Guards! Guards!.

The Luggage is by far my most favourite character/concept in literature ever.
Old 08-30-2008

Quote:
the only time I can really stop reading a normal TP book is when there is a big obvious scene change
I know, I'm the same. I have many a time accidentally stayed up until four in the morning reading TP because I wasn't able to stop reading it without the power of chapters. I wouldn't have it any other way, though!

I gotta say, I'm in love with Vetinari. Coolest character Ever.
Old 08-30-2008

i loooooooooove thw witches and wizards just so much funny
Old 09-11-2008

"----ing wizards! I hate -----ing wizards"
"Shouldn't ----- them then"
Old 09-14-2008

you know your alowed to fucking swear
Old 09-14-2008

It's called quoting. Have you read The Truth? Mr Tulip talks like that all the time
Old 12-14-2008

My stack of Already Read is finally equal-ish to the stack of To Be Read, though that's not much of an accomplishment. xD Eleven books in each, with the 23rd being Hogfather, which I am in the process of hopefully getting around to finishing before the 25th.
Old 01-02-2009

Blurb: Putting the 'romance' in 'necromancy'
Send a message via MSN to LordMaddie

Hasn't Terry Pratchett received a knighthood or something?

And has anyone read Nation?
Old 01-08-2009

Quoted from the WOSSNAME: Newsletter of the Klatchian Foreign Legion. SPECIAL EDITION, DECEMBER 2008 (Volume 11, Issue 12a)

A very special announcement:
ARISE, SIR PTERRY!!!

WOSSNAME is hugely delighted to report that Terry Pratchett will receive a knighthood in the New Year's honours list.

Due to the vagaries of the British honours system, Pterry will be a Knight Bachelor, which differs a bit from receiving a knighthood in the Order of the British Empire, of which he's already an Officer (OBE).

We join with Pratchett fans around the world in extending our heartfelt congratulations. Woot woot woot!

Some twenty-and-a-bit months ago:

"I think that making me a knight would be extremely silly, and would therefore embrace the idea in true Chestertonian fashion by taking it seriously. I would buy a suit of armour (and stand vigil over it, but since praying in a chapel is not my scene, maybe the Humanists would let me sit in their lobby and read Darwin. Maidens, dragons... oh, the possibilities are endless."

-- Terry Pratchett on the possibility of being knighted, in a conversation started by the one and only Bruce Richardson on
Alt.Fan.Pratchett (13th April 2007)

...and now:

"There are times when phrases such as 'totally astonished' just don't do the job. I am of course delighted and honoured and, needless to say, flabbergasted."

-- Terry Pratchett on the reality of being knighted (30th December 2008)

Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

The BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7805468.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7805143.stm

The Press Association:
http://tinyurl.com/8fwqrk

The Independent:
http://tinyurl.com/9algy7

Google:
http://tinyurl.com/6wvo8r

(this last link is likely to contain numerous other links as the page is updated)

So raise your glasses to Sir Pterry! For he's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us...

And a happy new year to one and all!

--Annie Mac, Editor
Old 01-08-2009

Blurb: Putting the 'romance' in 'necromancy'
Send a message via MSN to LordMaddie

So yes, he has recived a knighthood then. Jolly good.