This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions

Old 05-11-2008
General Staff

But that doesn't matter in the least.

http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.c...f24/t2671/#p28
Old 05-14-2008
Banned

Absolutely none. Citizens should also have the right to have military technology.
Old 05-15-2008

Er... exactly why is that to be desired?
Old 05-15-2008

Blurb: "Oh yeah, WillPhanto1, he's a trippy dude." -Andrew Soto
Send a message via MSN to WillPhanto1

Seeing how most people are getting dumber by the day, access to military technology may not be the best of ideas. Even if a revolution became necessary, I don't think missiles would be used against us, nor needed by us.
Old 05-15-2008
Banned

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It says the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed, not sometimes infringed or that some Arms shall not be infringed.

Also, if we ever have another revolution against the government, we'd actually stand a chance against the army if we were allowed access to their equipment.
Old 05-15-2008

Well seeing you've been banned, answering you is probably pointless, but here it goes.
Our army is a volunteer based army, people join to serve and protect their follow citizens. If it came to government vs. people in a revolution, I bet alot of people in the military will become confused, and some might join the revolution.

However, talking about a revolution is becoming really pointless here, since things will have to get far much worst for it to matter.

Lets turn the subject a little.
Quote:
. . .has anyone EVER managed a mass killing with close-range weapons designed for other purposes? NO. And knives can never cause as much damage as A: They lack real power and B: Knife-maniacs are easier to outrun than bullets.
Actually, yes. What do you think people used before guns, or before they were reliable? And some of the most horrific murders were committed without guns. Mass killers can plan for months about their attacks. Enough time for them to train with the weapons of choice, and get fit enough to handle the strenuous, exercise, for lack of a better word, involved.
Old 05-15-2008

I think guns should not be treated like a piece of metal. It's dangerous technology that the enforcements of law should have access to, not the average Joe.
Old 05-17-2008
Banned

It's okay to call the cops when an armed criminal breaks into your house, because they'll get there. They'll then proceed to take a picture of your dead body. What makes you think criminals are going to obey gun laws?

If we're going to ban guns because they can kill people, we may as well ban cars too since more people die in car crashes than gun shots.
Old 05-18-2008

Blurb: ZOMGLOLWTFBBQ

You can't stop people from getting what they want, if they want a gun, they will try to get one, if legal or not.
Old 05-18-2008
General Staff

Quote:
Absolutely none. Citizens should also have the right to have military technology.
Military is made up of citizens. The word you're looking for is civillians. And no, I disagree. The Military's technology is generally far too advanced for the generally technologically ignorant people of the civillian sector.
Quote:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It says the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed, not sometimes infringed or that some Arms shall not be infringed.

Also, if we ever have another revolution against the government, we'd actually stand a chance against the army if we were allowed access to their equipment.
Doesn't mean it's wise. You'd have access to the equipment, but how many people would know how to use it? The military, at least, has training & some restraint. Same can't really be said for civilians.

In all honesty, there's a damned good reason that the military keeps secrets & technology from people.
Not 100% related, but I feel it helps convey my point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War...ds_%28radio%29
Old 05-18-2008
Banned

Quote:
Military is made up of citizens. The word you're looking for is civillians. And no, I disagree. The Military's technology is generally far too advanced for the generally technologically ignorant people of the civillian sector.
The average Joe during the American Revolution had the most advanced and up-to-date weaponry.

It doesn't matter if people are too "ignorant", it's a right regardess.
Quote:
Doesn't mean it's wise. Doesn't mean it's wise. You'd have access to the equipment, but how many people would know how to use it? The military, at least, has training & some restraint. Same can't really be said for civilians.
Places with concealed carry rights are one of the most peaceful places in America. It shows that these people have training and restraint.
Old 05-18-2008

The most advanced weaponry during the American revolution was a musket and a bayonet.To think that todays "average joe" should deserve advanced military technology is both a dumb and horrible idea.
Old 05-19-2008
Banned

Quote:
The most advanced weaponry during the American revolution was a musket and a bayonet.
Your point? In their perspective, a musket and bayonet was very powerful.

And what about the future? In the future, the weapons we have today will be obsolete.
Quote:
To think that todays "average joe" should deserve advanced military technology is both a dumb and horrible idea.
How?
Old 05-19-2008

Hand guns are very rare murder weapons in countries with gun bans. Guess three times why.
Old 05-19-2008

Quote:
Hand guns are very rare murder weapons in countries with gun bans. Guess three times why.
And what's the most common weapon I ask you? Knifes, axes, regular garden tools? Getting rid of guns doesn't get rid of the will to murder.
And usually the only place where random gun violence is a problem is big cities, and causes there of violence wouldn't change if guns became outlawed. They'll just them the same way they get drugs, or switch to long knifes.
Idiots who misuse guns will always be idiots. And I for one I'm tired of dumbing everything down for them, or taking freedoms away from everyone just because these people do stupid things. I say if they make the choice to do something stupid, they face consequences. It was their choice, they pay for it.
Old 05-19-2008

Idiots who misuse biological weapons will always be idiots. And I for one I'm tired of dumbing everything down for them, or taking freedoms away from everyone just because these people do stupid things. I say if they make the choice to do something stupid, they face consequences. It was their choice, they pay for it.

See what I did there? If you really can't live without a piece of metal, there is no hope for you.

Any society that is willing to give up a little liberty to gain a little security is realistic.
Old 05-19-2008
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

What do biological weapons have to do with this argument? Guns have purposes other than killing fellow human beings. Biological weapons do not.
Quote:
Any society that is willing to give up a little liberty to gain a little security is realistic.
I think you mean the illusion of security. I for one, am not willing to give up even a small freedom in exchange for the illusion of security you are proposing. Just how, may I ask, would banning guns make the world a safer place? Banning guns would have little to no effect on the murder rate. Gun violence is a mere symptom of a larger problem that can't be solved by throwing legislation at it.
Old 05-19-2008

I can live without a gun, but I can not live without liberty. Also, biological and chemical weapons can be made in people's garages if they have the know-how.
Like I said before, removing weapons doesn't remove the intent to harm.
Old 05-19-2008

Quote:
Gun violence is a mere symptom of a larger problem that can't be solved by throwing legislation at it.
I did not say that gun ban is the ultimate solution to murder, all I'm saying is that it's an important step towards progress.
Quote:
Like I said before, removing weapons doesn't remove the intent to harm.
But it helps to hinder that intent. Also, the people that makes sure everything is all right, the police and the military, has an easier job without gun-waving idiots.
Quote:
I can not live without liberty.
You think your country is free? You think everything will be better with more weapons?

Liberty is the liberty to never risk being shot to pieces by evil-doers.
Old 05-19-2008
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

I think a point that no one seems to have made yet is that guns can already be bought off the black market. Even if there is a gun ban, people who want guns can still get guns, and the people who would be victims have even fewer ways to protect themselves.
Old 05-19-2008

Actually we did make that point, DarkWarrior talked about it the most.
Quote:
Liberty has nothing to do with safety. Liberty is were an individual has the ability to act according to his or her own will. And when somebody (individual or otherwise) tries to oppress another body (individual or otherwise) he/she/they should have the right to defend them-self/selves.
Old 05-20-2008

Send a message via MSN to xellos88

i said that >_>
It's true that if guns never were invented we would have less murder, but if you make a law against using them then you'll get lots of criminals with guns and unarmed civilians.
Old 05-20-2008

It's too easy for that "defense" to be used for evil deeds.
Old 05-20-2008

Every form of defense can be used for evil. Even a shield can be used for evil. And you can't always tell if someone has evil or good intentions by just looking or listening to them. Should we just assume that everyone is evil and let our governments put shock collars on everyone just to make sure no one can do anything bad?
Old 05-20-2008
General Staff

Quote:
The average Joe during the American Revolution had the most advanced and up-to-date weaponry.

It doesn't matter if people are too "ignorant", it's a right regardess.
Doesn't mean it should be practiced. Just because "It's a right" doesn't mean "It's a good thing to do." Never, ever do something just because you can. You need to think things through.
Quote:
Idiots who misuse biological weapons will always be idiots. And I for one I'm tired of dumbing everything down for them, or taking freedoms away from everyone just because these people do stupid things. I say if they make the choice to do something stupid, they face consequences. It was their choice, they pay for it.

See what I did there? If you really can't live without a piece of metal, there is no hope for you.

Different scale, argument invalid.
Quote:
But it helps to hinder that intent. Also, the people that makes sure everything is all right, the police and the military, has an easier job without gun-waving idiots.
And people in poor neighborhoods are stranded without real defense.
Quote:
You think your country is free? You think everything will be better with more weapons?

Thing is, they will always exist. Removing the means does not remove the cause.
Quote:
It's too easy for that "defense" to be used for evil deeds.
The most inane, seemingly obvious useless objects can be used for evil.
Old 05-20-2008

As a not so wise person and I once said on IRC: Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE do. I think it's possible to make sure that people don't get hold of the guns in the first place. That would make things a lot better.
Old 05-20-2008
General Staff

Not a viable option, for reasons explained in this topic.
Old 05-21-2008

Quote:
And people in poor neighborhoods are stranded without real defense.
That's an entirely different problem.
Old 05-21-2008

Henriksson, you know you can't relay on the police all the time. They're not superheroes, they can't always come in the nick of time to save you.
Old 05-21-2008

Neither can you overestimate crocs. At the end of the day, we're all fairly good people. Of course, there are factors that make people violent, but that's a completely different topic. I said it in my previous post but noone seemed to notice.