This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013
Always niggling about his title and May birthdays

Blurb: Some blurbs just like to watch the world burn
Send a message via MSN to biggles1 Send a message via Yahoo to biggles1 Send a message via Skype™ to biggles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3o2828 View Post
Well, after becoming teary eyed and unable to make fun of Enders game, i have decided that in fact, Enders game is much much better written than Any of the Dune BOOKS.

I am both intrigued and scared.

And now that i am actually loving this book, i want a physical copy more than ever before lol

DAMN YOU SCOTT CARD!
You know he is against Gay Marriage and 'dissapproves' of homosexuality?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_S..._homosexuality
Old 10-10-2013
Definitely Kim Jong Un

Blurb: PSN: animex75b Switch: SW-5941-0272-2331
Send a message via Skype™ to animex75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOcean View Post
Not in urban dictionary senses of the words
who said anything about urban dictionary? :V
Old 10-10-2013

Send a message via MSN to biggles1 Send a message via Yahoo to biggles1 Send a message via Skype™ to biggles1

Quote:
Go read what he says about homosexuality, pretty sure that will cure you of the need.
I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that we concluded the same comment at the same time...
Old 10-10-2013

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles1 View Post
I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing that we concluded the same comment at the same time...
I don't know either, all I know is that when I want to read his stuff I go to the library and check it out, that way I'm funding public works instad-
Old 10-10-2013

*is in a dust storm with winds up to 55mph*

The sand! Its in my eyes ugh!!
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:

But you're an ocean :V
Old 10-10-2013

And you're a smart ass, what's your point?

Also now the wind is still blowing but it is raining instead. Fml.
Old 10-10-2013
Definitely Kim Jong Un

Quote:
But you're an ocean :V
no, she's THE ocean :V
Old 10-10-2013

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Skype™ to gwtyler1985

Quote:

The goggles do nothing!
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by animex75 View Post
no, she's THE ocean :V
touché
Old 10-10-2013

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

SUBMIT
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir502 View Post
SUBMIT
REJECTED
Old 10-10-2013
The worst kind of worst kind

Marshmallow

Quote:
Go read what he says about homosexuality, pretty sure that will cure you of the need.
Quote:
You know he is against Gay Marriage and 'dissapproves' of homosexuality?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_S..._homosexuality
And none of that has ANYTHING to do with Ender's Game. Ender's Game is not an mouthpiece for the card's thoughts on the gay marriage, it does not contain anti-gay propaganda, it doesn't touch on sexuality at all. If anything it has a slight blip on the meter towards 'das gay'.

This general denouncement of his books occurring lately seems moronic, or misguided, at best. Some notion that a person's works are tainted just because the person holds a belief with which you strongly disagree is just absurd.

Consider how many great minds of the past held views that many of us would think terrible. The slave owning founders who hypocritically build this nation on the principles of equality. The deeply flawed artists and authors who were found dying of their madness on the streets, or from the point of their own gun, whose timeless works continue to inspire new generations. Poe and his little-girl wife, Oscar Wilde and his little boys, any number of authors and musicians with self-destructive drug and alcohol use who then go on to harm those closest to them.

HP Lovecraft seems to think blacks nothing more than dimwitted lumbering beasts, but I still relish reading Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath every year. Ike Turner would beat the piss out of Tina, but I'm listening to Proud Mary on the radio right now.

People mostly tend to ignore the flaws in an artist's character, if they enjoy their work. But, now and then, the spotlight is brought upon someone who is not much more flawed than anyone else, and their works are denounced, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the issue at hand, or what they contribute to society.

Is the premise of open-mindedness and tolerance to be inclusive of those who hold values different from your own, or only the people whose opinions you agree with?

From what I've read, Card doesn't seem to be frothing at the mouth demanding all gays be left on a deserted island. He has an opinion that gay marriage should not be allowed, and that homosexuality is wrong, and it seems that he bases this on his faith. In most of this country gay marriage is still not legal. He has written that in light of the recent DOMA decision, that 'the gay marriage issue is moot' and it's likely that gay marriage will eventually become legal in all states. That seems like reasoning and not the sound of a raving nutbag.

The tragic irony in the push to boycott the Ender's Game movie and Card's other books is that a number of them deal with how misunderstandings can lead to tragedy, the moral conflict from taking life even in your own defense, and the injustice of destroying something just because you don't understand it.

[/soap box]
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
And none of that has ANYTHING to do with Ender's Game. Ender's Game is not an mouthpiece for the card's thoughts on the gay marriage, it does not contain anti-gay propaganda, it doesn't touch on sexuality at all. If anything it has a slight blip on the meter towards 'das gay'.

This general denouncement of his books occurring lately seems moronic, or misguided, at best. Some notion that a person's works are tainted just because the person holds a belief with which you strongly disagree is just absurd.

Consider how many great minds of the past held views that many of us would think terrible. The slave owning founders who hypocritically build this nation on the principles of equality. The deeply flawed artists and authors who were found dying of their madness on the streets, or from the point of their own gun, whose timeless works continue to inspire new generations. Poe and his little-girl wife, Oscar Wilde and his little boys, any number of authors and musicians with self-destructive drug and alcohol use who then go on to harm those closest to them.

HP Lovecraft seems to think blacks nothing more than dimwitted lumbering beasts, but I still relish reading Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath every year. Ike Turner would beat the piss out of Tina, but I'm listening to Proud Mary on the radio right now.

People mostly tend to ignore the flaws in an artist's character, if they enjoy their work. But, now and then, the spotlight is brought upon someone who is not much more flawed than anyone else, and their works are denounced, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the issue at hand, or what they contribute to society.

Is the premise of open-mindedness and tolerance to be inclusive of those who hold values different from your own, or only the people whose opinions you agree with?

From what I've read, Card doesn't seem to be frothing at the mouth demanding all gays be left on a deserted island. He has an opinion that gay marriage should not be allowed, and that homosexuality is wrong, and it seems that he bases this on his faith. In most of this country gay marriage is still not legal. He has written that in light of the recent DOMA decision, that 'the gay marriage issue is moot' and it's likely that gay marriage will eventually become legal in all states. That seems like reasoning and not the sound of a raving nutbag.

The tragic irony in the push to boycott the Ender's Game movie and Card's other books is that a number of them deal with how misunderstandings can lead to tragedy, the moral conflict from taking life even in your own defense, and the injustice of destroying something just because you don't understand it.

[/soap box]
Tolerance towards others views is something I most certainly have, which is why I spend so much time on the internet defending Islam as a whole from racist idiots on facebook. However, I do not have any requirement to be tolerant of someone's belief that some human beings do not deserve the same rights as others.

Adding to that, I never called for his works to be banned, boycotted or in any way ignored. Moreover, I was attempting to question if Leo was aware of this authors personal opinions, and as such was attempting to gauge how leo knew and felt about both the book and it's author. Mein Kampf is an interesting read, but if someone after reading it proclaimed it was the greatest literary piece ever written and wanted to read more, I'd have a few things to question about how much they actually knew about it.

(and yes I know as you said, enders game doesn't actually contain anything reflecting his anti-gay marriage beliefs while Mein Kampf is somewhat more extreme in some of it's views, but you get the kind of point I'm on about)
Old 10-10-2013
Destroyer of TV Tropes, Liberator of the Masses

Blurb: Hop into Gamertoads over on youtube
Hitsugaya

So I just watched the first episode of Free! and I was kinda disappointed.

When I first started watching HunterxHunter I was hooked before episode 1 was even finished but Free! just left me feeling like "Wait, is that it? Also why did Rin go from happy and friendly and competitive to competitive jerkass?" "Is this explain latter? Why introduce him like that though? Why not show him as a jerk in the first episode and THEN reveal how he use to be and explain why he changed"
Old 10-10-2013
Waiting for Tweek to come and play

Blurb: GLF
Cobra4
Send a message via MSN to l3o2828 Send a message via Skype™ to l3o2828

Quote:
Tolerance towards others views is something I most certainly have, which is why I spend so much time on the internet defending Islam as a whole from racist idiots on facebook. However, I do not have any requirement to be tolerant of someone's belief that some human beings do not deserve the same rights as others.

Adding to that, I never called for his works to be banned, boycotted or in any way ignored. Moreover, I was attempting to question if Leo was aware of this authors personal opinions, and as such was attempting to gauge how leo knew and felt about both the book and it's author. Mein Kampf is an interesting read, but if someone after reading it proclaimed it was the greatest literary piece ever written and wanted to read more, I'd have a few things to question about how much they actually knew about it.

(and yes I know as you said, enders game doesn't actually contain anything reflecting his anti-gay marriage beliefs while Mein Kampf is somewhat more extreme in some of it's views, but you get the kind of point I'm on about)

I am very aware of Orson's ...beliefs.
But just like his ...beliefs, he is an old fart, and will die eventually.
So why should i stop reading a good book because of it?
We are fighting for equality and we are slowly winning the fight, and Orson will just have to deal with it eventually.
And to be perfectly sincere, i literally don't care about gay marriage, i don't like marriage as a concept to begin with.

Also, please, Ender's game is not the best piece of literature ever....and it is not tainted one bit by it's creators ideas.

I dunno why but i got angrier than face at these comments lol

Last edited by l3o2828; 10-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2013

Blurb: F**K DINOSAURS!!!

Now I see why I've slowly stopped coming here. You guys want to turn the entire site into Serious Discussions. What happened to this place? We used to be able to bullshit around, but now, it's just not the same. We used to laugh about non-political things without trying to bring in any political spin, but... that fun factor is lost. I don't think I can talk about Mazinger without someone trying to twist Go Nagai into a dirty mysogynist. Maybe this is why the forums are slowly dying.

Last edited by ChaosVincent1; 10-10-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2013

Cobra4

Oh wait, i don't care, 'cause you never really contribute to the conversations anyways.
Old 10-10-2013

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Skype™ to gwtyler1985

... Guy's got a point. Why is it that the serious discussions are in the Off-Topic place and the Serious Discussions section is filled with off-topic flaming?

Also, may I please murder anyone who's being serious here since the only way to kill a troll is with a troll?

... Actually, if I kill a gay person AND a straight person for bugging me too much about gay marriage, does it count as a hate crime?

Last edited by gwtyler1985; 10-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2013
Definitely Kim Jong Un

so my class today had us doing an exercise in encryption
Old 10-10-2013

Cobra4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtyler1985 View Post
... Guy's got a point. Why is it that the serious discussions are in the Off-Topic place and the Serious Discussions section is filled with off-topic flaming?

Also, may I please murder anyone who's being serious here since the only way to kill a troll is with a troll?

... Actually, if I kill a gay person AND a straight person for bugging me too much about gay marriage, does it count as a hate crime?

You're actually being quite equal.
Quote:
so my class today had us doing an exercise in encryption
Coolios
Old 10-10-2013
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies Send a message via Skype™ to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtyler1985 View Post

Because if we put the topic into serious discussions where it belongs, someone's going to give their two cents, get offended when someone disagrees, then go on a rant about how their opinion is the greatest thing ever and if you disagree with it, you can go straight to hell.

I mean
Old 10-10-2013

Cobra4

LEVELS OF SERIOUSNESS DETECTED

INJECTING ANTI-DEPRESSANTS INTO SYSTEM.

IF YOU EXPERIENCE LIGHT HEADEDNESS OR GENERAL SICK FEELINGS PLEASE CALM THE FUCK DOWN.

THANK YOU.
Old 10-10-2013

Hitsugaya

Potaaaaaaaaaaaato.
Old 10-10-2013
Definitely Kim Jong Un

Old 10-10-2013

Hitsugaya

Quote:
Shit just got real son.
Old 10-10-2013

Marshmallow

We can have serious discussions in the BAR, there's nothing about Off-Topic that prevents that. If you have something relevant to say to the topic at hand, why not? If you'd look at the BAR you'll see that the vast majority of it is still it's usual random, nonsensical self, albeit a lot slower.
Old 10-10-2013
Definitely Kim Jong Un

a crippled snail moves faster than the BAR
Old 10-10-2013

Marshmallow

Old 10-10-2013

Marshmallow

Closed Thread