View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011
Banned

Default Desktop computer problem-Screen goes black?

Originally, this problem only happened while playing games, so I dismissed it as maybe being a video card problem. However, it's increased in frequency recently, happening outside of games, even when I'm doing very little on the computer. Here's what happens.

The screen will suddenly go black. No sound can be heard, even if I was playing a game or listening to music before this happened. Clicking the mouse or pressing keys on the keyboard does nothing. The tower is still on, but pressing the power button does nothing-I have to unplug it and plug it back in, THEN press the power button to turn it on. The monitor is still on. I turn it off then on again, but no change. And if I press the buttons on the front, the settings stuff will still show up on the screen. This leads me to believe the monitor is not the problem. But if it's not, then what is? This problem is getting on my nerves.

Please try not to ask me to do anything too technical. My old tower stopped working due to age, and my relatives gave me this one. I don't want to risk doing anything that might cause it to stop working, and I can't afford a new one or professional help.