Thread: recipe thread!
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal Send a message via Skype™ to musigal

citrus roast chicken with almond pilaf

CHICKEN
Ingredients
1 butterflied roasting chicken
1/2 navel orange, zested, plus the juice of 1 whole orange
2 limes, 1 zested, both juiced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly cracked black pepper
Directions
Put the chicken in a large nonmetalic bowl. Put the orange and lime zests in a small bowl and add the fruit juices. Whisk in the olive oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and a generous grind of black pepper. Pour the marinade over the chicken and toss until well coated. Marinate for 20 to 30 minutes but no longer than 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put a rack on a rimmed baking sheet. Put the chicken on the rack breast side up. Drizzle with marinade; season well with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when meat is pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Cool slightly before serving or let stand until room temperature before refrigerating for later use.

PILAF
Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 of a medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and almonds. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is softened and the almonds are golden, stirring occasionally. Add the rice; cook and stir for 1 minute. Slowly stir in the broth and add the salt and the pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and garnish with parsley.