Thread: Gun laws?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

It is of my opinion that liberals in the United States are interested in changing laws asap because they see a problem, and the easiest way to fix the problem is to pass a law that involves more regulation the the government.

I will give a local example. Much to Europeans' surprise, there are cities that have liberal culture. I live near a few of those cities. One of them is the kind of liberal that has a bunch of white people who proclaim diversity, have artistic and scientific elitists, the university students are your typical "I am enlightened and that makes my opinion worth something" types, they think that all conservatives are gun-loving gay bashing idiots, and, well, you get the picture.

Anyways. Last year or so, they decided to pass a law that required cars to stop at all crosswalks (that are not connected to regular traffic lights) if there was at least one person who needed to cross. When the law was first established, there were no crosswalk signs or lights or anything. So naturally, police gave tickets to a crap load of people for not remembering their stupid and impractical law.

Granted, now for the most part they have the proper lights and signals to indicate crosswalks and when people will be crossing. But they passed the law before they had the proper equipment to make the law practical.

So why did they pass it in such a rush?

Well, because in the progressive mindset, if you see a problem, a law needs to be passed about it right away, even if it doesn't make sense to pass it. They saw that people couldn't cross crosswalks in a reasonable amount of time, so instead of taking the time to build traffic lights at those crosswalks, they decided to blame the big mean cars and punish them for being big mean cars.

For liberals, passing a law like that is "fixing the problem," except all that it is doing is putting a bandaid on the problem, which doesn't do a whole lot of good for anyone. At least since it was a local law, it was easier to actually perform the surgery needed after a while, but I think that if people didn't complain about it, the city would have just kept the bandaid.

So in regards to this topic, regulating gun control even more in a society that has several other problems, such as:
Lack of awareness of mental health treatment
The expense of treating mental health issues
The lack of a significant father figure in the CT shooter's life
Broken families and divorce rates
Violent movies and video games (now before you yell at me, I think that banning these things is stupid. However, moms need to stop buying their angelic sons Call of Duty when they are only 10).
The media's reaction to shooters - the way that they become famous after committing such a horrible crime

Perhaps there are more factors that I am not taking into consideration.

Also, requiring that guns be locked up would not be a bad idea. Not sure how many people are going to obey that law and how they are going to regulate it, but at least encouraging people to do that might make a difference.